Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I removed my Betta, BluRay, from his little 1 gallon acrylic tank into a 10 gallon tank and now he stays hidden behind the filtration system. When I turn on the light he sees his reflection in the glass and thinks that he's being attacked by another Betta from the reflection in the glass. BluRay usually hangs out at the front of the aquarium and is very sociable, but now I can't get him to move from the back of the tank. I tried to feed him, as well, and he was not interested. What do I do?

·
Registered
469 Posts
can you fill this out for the old tank and your plans for the new tank? ^-^ it'd help loads... ^-^

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

he may just be freaked by the new change of surroundings...
try to be nice and quiet, no loud noises.... and just give him his space... don't make any sudden movements towards him and don't tap on the glass your mess with it.... leave the light off for now and if you think it might help you could put a dark towel over the tank... mine doesn't like them, but some peoples' fish find the darkness comforting... how is it set up plants and decor wise?.....

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Aww poor fella, doesn't know what to do with all that new space!

Have you baffled your filter, or is it on the lowest setting? Filters tend to be too rough for the boys, so you will want to baffle it by using an added aquarium sponge in the outflow, or around the intake- holding it in/on with a clean rubber band will work.
You can also use a bottle filter if you wish.

Are there plenty of plants around to hide in? Both medium and tall, as well as a cave of sorts? Once the current from the filter is lowered (if you haven't already), then he may come out more and explore, as he won't feel the heavy drag from his fins- he will need some time to build up his muscles. But they prefer and do better when there are plenty of places to hide in and swim through- sometimes wide open spaces can scare them. Have to remember, after a few weeks they tend to go into jars at the breeders, then the cups and to our home.. so some have no clue what a larger tank is like by the time you get one.

A lot of times it takes a betta a while to adjust to larger tanks, so just give him some time and he should relax in a few days.. the same goes for feeding- this is like bringing him home, he may not eat for a while after being moved.

As for the lights.. if the room is dim, he will be able to see his reflection easier (I believe that is how it goes).. he should become used to this as well. For now, just leave his tank light off in the evenings and the room light on.. and turning on the tank light during the day until he gets adjusted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.