Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I got my Betta fish about a month ago maybe three weeks. And everything was perfect he was so happy and healthy and he loved his home.

This morning I woke up and went to check on him and the stupid tank was leaking after only a few weeks like not even two months old, and the water was dropping really quickly. So I had to grab him and put him in the aquarium bucket with his plants (I tried to set them up nicely) while I went to get a new home for him.

The aquarium took ages to set up I saved all the water from the old tank I could for the good bacteria but I had to top up with cold tap water. because its larger. I have tested it and our water source is decent and i have dechlorinated it but it took much longer than I thought since this is only the second tank I have set up. Its much nicer and bigger, but I couldn't keep him in the bucket so I have put him in a goldfish bowl. This is like the 4th time I have had to move him today and he is super stressed.

I think I accidentally knocked his pectoral fin because he can move it when he wants at the moment but it seems sore. He is also got a little rip in the dorsal fin and there are stress lines everywhere and he is really listless.

He also seems afraid of me because I have had to catch him so often today. I feel so bad about this :frown2:, I feel like a horrible human and terrible fish parent and I didn't know what else to do as I didn't expect it to leak so soon and that badly. He's eating but he just looks listless and stressed.

Do you think he will be ok? I reckon his new home will be ready in an hour or two at the most and I'm not going to catch him and move him for ages after that unless I get unlucky with the tank again.

I really do love my fish, I haven't had him long but I did loads of research before hand but no way did I expect the tank to leak so soon. What can I do to help him>

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,557 Posts
Is he back in his tank? Does it have a filter and heater? If it has a filter you will find this most useful.
https://www.bettafish.com/30-betta-fish-care/507585-cycling-two-sentence-tutorial.html

While moving him around so much is stressful it is not something I would feel guilty over. We do what we have to do. Right now you can get either some Indian Almond Leaves at the pet store or Rooibos Tea at the grocery or health food store. Make a strong tea of either and when cool add to tank. The water should be a murky sort of brown color. Both of these have antibiotic and calming properties. Or, you can get SeaChem StressGuard which has calming and antiseptic properties.

If you get Rooibos is have no additives and be naturally decaffeinated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts