Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally my betta Mac is really happy and playful. I recently moved him from a 1 gallon tank with no filter or heater into a 5 gallon one with a heater and filter. I moved him into his 5 gallon one yesterday and didn't buy the filter until today. I'm assuming we just stressed him out way too much but I'm still a little worried. We had to fix a few things in the tank 2-3 times and he ended up flaring at me which never happens. The water was way waaay too cloudy because I never filtered the tank and let the water age for 24 hours before putting him in (I never knew, I'm new to this). So right now he's in his old 1 gallon tank for the night while his new water filters and he's not moving at all. He's floating at the top and his little fins aren't even moving. I got nervous that he died or something so I softly tapped the glass and he FLEW across the tank. Do you think he was just sleeping and I scared the **** out of him? Everything in my water is fine, I've been doing tons of research and have gotten the kits to test the water. Should I just leave him alone for the night and let him calm down? I'm new to this and I'm really attached to him so I'm getting worried lol.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Personally I would've left him in the new tank. There's no need to run the filter for 24 hrs before adding the fish so long as you used a quality water conditioner. Also, I'm guessing since you have the water test kit you've read up on the fish IN cycling process. Since you've put back into his old tank, just leave him be, let him settle back down & he should be fine. Make sure when switching him from tank to tank you are acclimating him properly & not just putting in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts