Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When preparing my water for the wild Betta uberis, I thought, it wouldn‘t hurt to make a bit more next time …

So my second soft water species moved in 2 weeks ago: 2 male and 4 female young licorice gouramis Parosphromenus harveyi.

I drove to the middle of Germany to fetch them from a wonderful breeder - watching his tanks alone would have been worth the trip!

Although they belong to the same order of fish as our Bettas, the Anabantoformes or Labyrinth Fish, they hardly ever make use of their Labyrinth organ.

So far they seem to have settled in very well and it is a joy (and honor) to watch their courtship behavior. The males present themselves heads down and tails up to the females:

Water Vertebrate Organism Wood Underwater

Male:
Wood Twig Water Natural landscape Art

Females:
Water Organism Underwater Marine biology Aquatic plant

Plant Wood Twig Tints and shades Terrestrial plant

I‘m really excited to keep them and hopefully they will breed for me.

These tiny, beautiful fishes are severely endangered in their natural environment and a worldwide project called the "Parosphromenus Project“ is unique in not only encouraging breeding but also in scientifically researching the different genus and trying to save their environments.

If you are interested in this project, read more:
The Parosphromenus Project

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much!

The current tank‘s size is about 17 x 14 x 10 inches or 45 x 35 x 25 cm.

I might move the thickest female and the dominant male to a new tank but have to order a few filters first, as I want to use a different kind of filtration in this tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts