Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first betta fish was beautiful. He was gorgeous and had an amazing tail. Now I am positive that his fin is getting ripped up. I have silk plants in there, a floating betta log and a coral thing in the tank. I can't think of what he is getting caught on and is taking away his tail. It's only the back fins, the top and bottom fins are fine. PLEASE HELP!! I have a picture of before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? No, throws him around
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? Not sure, need to get a thermometer
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, small pinch

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? About every month, or when the water became cloudy
What percentage of water did you change? More than half, or all
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? Water Clarifiers

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A couple of weeks ago, really noticed today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins have changed
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It hasn't that I have noticed
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 4 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that I know of

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well he needs a heater and a thermometer. There's no way around that. You could live without the filter but it seriously improves the living quarters substantially on many fronts. Ebay has sponge filter for $1.85.

About the water changes...do you think you could do it twice a week? I do mine on Wednesdays and then a day over the weekend. The water conditioner Prime would help make ammonia and the other toxins less toxic to him between water changes. Even if you had to miss a water change...Prime could help buy you some time. There is no definitive answer as to why some betta fin bite...you'll have to experiment to see if you can get him to stop. I'm suspecting that water parameters could also play a role. Try adding more plants to the tank....silk ones of different sizes..good ones that he can lay on and swim through. Do you have a little cave for him? Lighting could play a role in fin biting...their own reflection....boredom...you'll have to try to figure it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went out and bought a thermometer and a test strip kit for my tank. The pH is 7.8, Alkaline is 80, Chlorine is 0, Hardness is 300, and Nitrate is 0. The temperature of the tank is 75 degrees. I have a lot of plants, at least I think (pictured). I am just very worried about him. I will do the water changes also.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.