Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all your help Russel! A log would be cool, I’ll see if I can find or make one.

I guess that could be possible Sara? The filter is smooth rounded plastic so I don’t think he is snagging his fins on it, but the current it makes seems to be a little too strong for him, he tends to avoid swimming out where it’s expelling the water. I guess I can try turning it off since the cartridge isn’t even in it rn.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
Thanks for all your help Russel! A log would be cool, I’ll see if I can find or make one.

I guess that could be possible Sara? The filter is smooth rounded plastic so I don’t think he is snagging his fins on it, but the current it makes seems to be a little too strong for him, he tends to avoid swimming out where it’s expelling the water. I guess I can try turning it off since the cartridge isn’t even in it rn.
Sometimes their fins can get caught in those intakes and tear. You can get a round sponge that slides over it. I wouldn’t turn it off, he needs the oxygen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
B862F106-6651-49A1-8898-00159A9AE2A2.jpeg

Day three of the tea and daily 50% water changes. I’m feeding him a small pinch of the Fluval bug bite flakes 3x a day (before work, after work, before bed). Took this pic after another water change, so the water is lighter here since the tea bag hasn’t been in for more than like 5 minutes.

I found a small manual-pump gravel vac that I cleaned his tank with today. Went much smoother than just having to scoop water out with a cup and sucked up some of the flakes he’d let sink to the bottom this morning.

The water test results are good this afternoon. Ph is back up around 6.8 so I might have just misread the test stick yesterday.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You’re doing a great job! Feeding a betta is a very tricky art, and you really need to learn each betta individually. Soon after I got my female “rescue” betta I fed her so much she looked like a drunken Blimp 😂 thankfully she pooped just fine. And your boy wasn’t horribly under fed.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
I also find that the long tears down the fins heal quite quickly if they are damage for decor etc. I find the nipping at the ends takes much longer. I’m guessing because they are growing length versus just fusing together. My intermittent nipper chopped his beautiful tail down to a nub about a month ago and I’d say he only has 1/4 back so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you again! Here is a picture from today after another water change, nearing almost a week of the tea treatment.

it’s hard to tell because the water is so dark and he swims around a lot, but I think there is some healing happening on the tail? It looks like some small clear bits have begun appearing at the shredded ends. He has put on a bit of weight though with the 3 daily flake feedings, which is great.

His bottom fin is still in very bad shape though. I don’t know if the damage there is from fin rot or just stress. The water test readings are all coming out good still though and I’m still doing daily 50% water changes in the 1 gallon tank. I’m thinking of moving him back into the 3 gallon though so the water changes won’t be as dramatic for him (my gravel hose is a bit large as it’s designed for 5 gallon tanks and he gets really upset when I use it).

Do you guys think he is improving at all? Should I keep him in this 1 gallon or should I move him?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hi! Clear finnage is absolutely new growth :)!
If i remember right without looking back at your thread you got conflicting suggestions regarding whether to move him back into the 3, but based on his reaction to the water changes I'd move him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

sorry for the lack of updates! He’s really difficult to get a decent photo of, he likes to swim around so much and hide in his leaves.

Little Ghost seems to be feeling much better! It’s been over two weeks in the 1 gallon with the rooibos tea and daily 50% water changes. A lot of his fins have started growing back, and he even built a bubble nest! First time he has ever done that since bringing him home.

He’s still pretty thin but I’m feeding him a small pinch of Fluval bug bites flakes 3x daily. He spat out most of the flakes this morning though, guess he’s still a little full from last night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you guys! I can try some frozen blood worms for him, he would probably like that. I’m just using the flakes because they were recommended to me but they are pretty messy if he decides to spit out a few haha.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts