Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm in a bit of a tough situation. My red VT has always been a fin biter but his fins have always grown back with ease and I've had no problems with fin rot. My new marble HM has some pretty severe fin rot and I've began treating it with Bettafix. My VT is thriving from the betta fix and I see lots of regrowth on his recently chomped at fins. However, my HM is still struggling and his fins are looking more and more tattered each day. I always keep my water clear and warm which I think is why my VT never had any problems with fin rot before but my HM must be more sensitive. I recently picked up some AQ salt and I plan to incorporate it into my water change after I'm done with my Betta fix regime.. I also have stress coat. Any suggestions would be great! Included are pictures of both of my bettas. I threw in the pic of the red betta so you could see the fin regrowth. And the other two are of my HM. Thank you!!
PS I know both of my bettas fins look horrible right now it's driving me nuts!
Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82-84(F)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another male betta (divided)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one betta buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every 2-3 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? top fin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: unknown
Nitrite: unknown
Nitrate: unknown
pH: unknown
Hardness: unknown
Alkalinity: unknown

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I personally don't see any fin rot. It's a black color at the end of the fins that start to slowly fall off (Didn't know exactly how to put it :/ ) I also would bump the 50% cleaning to once every week. Also don't use betta fix, it can destroy the labyrinth organ. Clean water will help any fin rot. You could add a Aq salt to help fin re growth (As directed on package) Hope this helps!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top left pic is him when I first got him.. To me his fin looks perfectly round. And the right picture is of him now and his fins are completely tattered I feel like if it isn't fin rot it has to be something right? His fins are deteriorating :(

·
Registered
246 Posts
That would be fin biting. He is stressed about something. Is he in a divided tank? Try moving his plants/ decorations in different places, sadly there isn't a cure for fin biting the only thing you could do to help would by using the Aquarium salt to help speed up the fin re growth!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it's possible that it's fin biting, my red betta bites his fins too and always has. He just takes out huge chunks at a time so it's really noticeable. I feel like my HM it's more of a gradual fin loss which is why I figured fin rot. I just don't know why his fins aren't regenerating at the pace of my other betta. :( When I do a water change I'll use a colored mesh and see if that helps. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Fin biting. Clean, warm water is best. Get an Ammonia test kit and test water every three days. When Ammonia hits 0.25ppm change 25% of the water.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the "fix" meds. They do not harm Betta as the oil is refined out so that what is left is water soluable and cannot possibly coat or destroy labyrinth organ. That being said, Bettafix is a very mild med and doesn't do a whole lot; but it is not harmful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts