Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LFS owner talked me into taking home a zebra snail (he had way too many, so I got it for free) and didn't tell me much about it. To be honest, I didn't ask. (Silly me.) He said the snail would be just fine living off algea, fish poo, and leftover fish food. Is that right? He's living in my male Deltatail's 2.5 gal tank, and they're alone except for a moss ball and some tiny butterfly plants. Do I need to give the snail (named Essie, short for Escargot) any kind of supplements? I've never had snails before...
Sorry if these are dumb questions. xD

·
Registered
713 Posts
Honestly
... Snails eat most anything.

Just remember, sensitive to copper, they need Calcium in their diet, and decently hard water.

I swear someone on here has a splendid snail food recipe for healthy happy snails. But... that might be apple snails...

I have no idea if Zebra snails are much different... all I really found out was that are very VERY fast and VORACIOUS with eating algae. ... if he/she is anything like my late Desi *Sniff* kiss your plants goodbye.

I'm sure I just said everything you already know... but *Smirks* I just like throwing in my 2 cents everywhere.
*Starts throwing pennies at everyone*

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm wanting to see the answer. I'm setting up a 2.5 and I might put one in if it's ok :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah I've heard that too. But I'm willing to make the water changes :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why won't anybody answer this thread?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Relax, relax. People will answer, but not everyone's on all the time. Anyway... I really, really would not recommend putting both a betta and a snail together in a 2.5 gallon tank. There's the aforementioned bioload issue, plus the betta might not take too kindly being kept in a smaller space with the snail.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Haha sorry didn't mean to sound mad. :) Thx I wasn't too sure about it anyway. Jus' wanting my new tank to be interesting :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yeah, snails are cute, but not when your fish is nomming on them D: Try getting some live plants, if you want to add interest to your tank. They're good for the fish, too.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That, and snails atually produce a ton of waste. Way more than they prevent by eating little bits of food and fish poopies. And you'll probably also have to get them algae wafers, because a single betta isn't going to produce enough waste for a snail to survive on. It's really not worth the trouble in such a small tank.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Oh, they're more work than people make them out to be. Not that much more, but certain snails won't even eat fish waste, and some will devour your plants.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aw man...never will I impulse buy again. Or rather, take something for free.
But now that I have little Essie, what do I do? I don't really want to buy a new tank for a snail. Would he be happy with a small bowl, and algea wafers to feed him? But then there would be no waste for him to eat...
Well, my betta is showing zero interest in Essie. They basically ignore eachother. And I do a complete water change every week, with daily cupful changes. Will that be enough to keep the waste down?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Probably not. You'd be best off pming a more expirienced member, because I'm not too sure with bioload. I'd say keep the snail in there for now, and get a 1 gallon jar or something for him later. And yeah, algae tablets for sure, or whatever things zebra snails eat. I'm assuming it's the same kinds of things that gold inca snails eat, but I'd research just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Hmm, snails in general are like you guys describe, but this is a zebra nerite snail. They're different. They are a lot cleaner than most other types. Pretty much the only thing they eat is algae. I don't think it's a good idea in a small uncycled tank because there is no natural food supply... but if you add algae wafers and fend off your Betta so he can eat, and if you have a PH of at least 7.6, and if you just step up water changes a little more (Maybe do them one to two days early, though not as messy, nerites are still snails) You should be fine. But that's just my two sense.

EDIT: Hmm, I think in a 2.5 tank with just a Betta you should be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change a week, and with the added nerite 2 50%, 1 100% a week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts