Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am *hopefully* picking up substrate and setting up the permanent home for my newest boy, and need help deciding on a substrate color. I could go with black, but many of my tanks have black already. I feel that natural gravel would wash him out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you're lucky enough to have a betta who isn't picky about substrate color, I envy you. Mal wouldn't go anywhere near the bottom of his tank until I capped the plant substrate with white rocks. He's in another tank now with tan colored gravel.

I was at one of my LFS last night to pick up some more hornwort and several of their cichlid tanks had this tiny gravel that was a dark red and white mix. I don't know what brand it was or if it was a mix they made themselves... but it looked amazing. I think you should find your favorite color gravel and mix it with white to make something unique.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the idea of mixing white with dark red. I think he'd look good with some red, at least. (Also, one of my favorite colors is deep red; almost burgundy) It would also provide a nice contrast to my blue tank which will be right next to him.
And that's too funny- I've only had one betta be picky about substrate color and that happened to be my solid black HMPK. He prefers, as luck would have it, black gravel. He and I compromised and I dimmed the light in his tank but kept the white. He's quite content now; just a high-stress boy who likes the dark.
I got lucky with gravel- if I don't like how it looks, Mom likes using it for her garden.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think darker red would look nice with his coloration.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow, what a gorgeous color he is!

As others have suggested a dark red would be great, especially since his body scales have a slight greenish tinge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I always try to choose the complimentary colors for my fish based on the color wheel, for this fish I think it would be dark purple (Lakers fan?) lol. but like others have said a dark red would look nice or but I can see dark blue looking pretty cool.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I personally have a color deficiency so coordinating/matching colors isn't really my thing however, as much as I love red (and I just followed your board Mousie, omg it's lovely.) I think a dark blue would bring out his colors and I feel like might look better with his yellowy color, anyone can feel free to disagree with me :) I'm sure we'd all love to see what you do choose!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up going with red but when I came back to my room yesterday he was dead. The cave I got, which I have used before in another tank with no problem, happened to be faulty. I didn't think twice about checking the cave after putting it in the water because I have the same cave in another tank.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's terrible!! I'm so sorry he was a beautiful boy :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts