Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Yogi
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I’m researching substrate options for a 10 gallon planted tank project I’m preparing for. I’m going the low-tech route since this is new to me and I don’t want to over complicate things. Do you have any recommendation for substrate? I love the look of the dark substrate but I’m not sure if I should go with Fluval Stratum or Carib Sea Eco-Complete or a sand? I want something easy to work with but very efficient. Thanks! Also, do you use a siphon or vacuum to clean? I think a siphon was mentioned. This is what I used on my betta tank. I will buy and add a betta to my tank and possibly a tank mate once my tank is built and cycled. Since I am here, what wattage of lighting is needed for this. I also need to buy a light. Thank you again, Lauren

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hi!
Some people don't like sand due to complications with their filter.

Some members use airline hose to suction detritus out of the substrate.

If you aren't going to have live plants you don't need lights, (and if so, it depends a lot on the specific plants light requirements). My boys and their pothos plants just have daylight.

·
Registered
Yogi
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!
Some people don't like sand due to complications with their filter.

Some members use airline hose to suction detritus out of the substrate.

If you aren't going to have live plants you don't need lights, (and if so, it depends a lot on the specific plants light requirements). My boys and their pothos plants just have daylight.
Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. I’m definitely going all natural this time with live plants. As soon as it cycles and my parameter levels allow I’m adding a betta. Maybe an African dwarf frog too. I’m still in the process of buying all my materials. I visited a LFS today and figured out substrate but am curious on wattage of lighting I will need with low difficulty plants. I can start a new discussion too if I can’t find this info through research. I hope you have a good day!

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
This article helped me decide what light to get for my planted tanks hope it is helpful for you as well.

·
Registered
Yogi
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This article helped me decide what light to get for my planted tanks hope it is helpful for you as well.
Thank you very much!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,118 Posts
The Finnex Stingray is what I use JL-20S-Finnex Stingray LED Fixture: 20 Inch I recently bought a Stingray Plus from That Fish Place and like it, as well.

I sent Finnex a list of my plants (low-to-medium light), distance from substrate to rim (10") for their advice because I wanted a Planted Plus. They said it would be overkill for the plants I have and suggested the Stingray.

I use sand substrate and NilocG Thrive tabs and liquid ferts.

·
Registered
Yogi
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Linda, thank you so much. I picked up the Fluval Nano light because it has different intensity levels you can adjust so I will give it a shot to see how I do. I’d love to use sand but I read that it can cause issues with the filter. I bought the filter you recommended. The Forza 15-25 Aquatop so since you use it, maybe it won’t be a problem. I also heard people use a layer of clay substrate with the sand over it. So many options!!

I decided to buy mainly anubias plants for my tank with a few other low to medium light types. I’m putting the order in with Buce - I have a gift card too - woohoo!

thanks for your help. I hope you’re having a nice day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts