Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm about to set up a divided 10 gallon, and I think I want to use sand for the substrate. I've got gravel in one tank and rocks in the other, and I don't care for either of them very much. I want something that will look nice, be easy to plant things in if I want to, and will be easy to clean. Will sand accomplish that for me?

Also, are some sands better than others? I want to be sure I get good quality the first time so that I don't waste money and have to redo it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I use CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand. It has a tad of "sparkle" (for lack of a better word) which makes the fish "pop." Sand is 2-3 pounds per gallon so 20 pounds would be minimum.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21432

The nice thing about sand is the "gunk" stays on top and is easy to remove. I use a piece of airline tubing to vacuum which makes it easier to clean up in and around plants.

I have had every acceptable substrate and even tried a bare-bottom tank (for two whole days) and, IME, CaribSea has the nicest substrates. I've never had to rinse the Tahitian Moon Sand, either. That, for me, is a great plus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts