Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally been able to upgrade my fish's tank up to a 5.5 gallon (yay!). I've had him for about three weeks in a bowl half the size which he didn't love, but it was a temporary solution.:-? I made sure to have a couple live plants and a smooth hiding place, heater, and did regular water changes.
Now I got this new tank with a light, filter, another heater that maintains the water at a steady 80 degrees, and lots more space.:) I filled it up with conditioned water, turned on the heaters and filter, added safestart and let it run for 24 hours. Today I added my fish. I floated him in his container in the new tank for about 30 minutes and then let him go into the new tank.
I know that bettas are curious and I expected him to go explore his new tank and everything, but I didn't expect him to jump so much in this one. He's jumped 4 times today.:shock: I've heard that they sometimes jump to get out of dirty water, but I don't think he's jumping due to poor water quality. The water should be totally fine; it's fresh, warm, conditioned water with safestart. I could only think he's trying to attack his reflection, or just thinks jumping is fun.
When I got him from the store, I picked him because he seemed really spirited and feisty. In fact, he tried to jump out of his little pet store cup when I picked him up off the shelf. Maybe it's just his little personality?
Any thoughts on the situation? Do you think he's happy or stressed? I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something. This little guy deserves an awesome home. ;-)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Congrats on the new tank! I don't see that anything would be wrong, it seems like a good home. Some bettas are just active, and like to move around, especially when their owner is near the tank. They're always trying to get food. One question I do have though is: Have you cycled the tank? It will over time, but helpful bacteria growth is very positive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts