Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two days ago Pontus became suddenly bloated and constipated. Its to a point where he swims differently because of it. I've fasted him the past two days but it hasn't helped. Yesterday I moved the small heater from one of my other tanks into his to see if it would help. The only change was he is a little more active. What do I need to do?
(I would add a photo but it wont let me)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Could you answer the questions I'm adding below?

Also - to upload a picture...
Click on Go Advanced at the bottom
Click on the paper clip
This should bring up a screen that lets you browse for files. Find your picture and hit "upload".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(There is no paper clip just a picture of a mountain that does nothing when I click it)

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank?I think the heater is set to 75-78
Does your tank have a filter?No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated?Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?He is alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?National Geographic Betta Pellets but I also own Jacks Pets Tropical Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish?Two pellets in the morning anywhere from 9-12 and one in the afternoon from midnight-1

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?NA

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Maybe a little duller? I cannot be certain
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Lethargic, panics a bunch (a lot more than usual) when I get near him
When did you start noticing the symptoms?Two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?added the heater, before he was just in room temp water, and also fasting
Does your fish have any history of being ill?No
How old is your fish (approximately)?however old they are in pet stores plus 3-4 months

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You have to click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom first. After clicking on that you should have more options - one of which is the paper clip that will let you attach files. :)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Ok - that photo would really help if you can get it up. You don't look to be overfeeding if you're feeding 3 pellets a day. The only thing I *would* advise is potentially getting a higher quality food, such as Omega One Betta Pellets or New Life Spectrum Pellets. These are low in filler.

BUT - at this point a picture would really be helpful as I'm not 100% sure it's constipation. A top down photo would be really helpful too.

I will advise also that you aren't doing enough water changes. In a 1gal tank - water needs to be changed *daily* to prevent ammonia buildup. I'd recommend 1 50% one day and a 100% the next on an alternating schedule - as 100% water changes are stressful in and of themselves. But, the smaller the tank you have....the more frequently water needs to be changed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If its not constipation then he's coincidently constipated at the same time. He's had the same string of poo hanging of him past two days as well.

image.jpg

(Sorry it's sideways, I had to switch to my phone)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
OK - that actually looks like it is most likely parasites.

At this point - I'd recommend you dose the tank with an anti-parasitic. If it were my boy, I'd use PraziPro. But - you could use API General Cure as well and that may be easier to find locally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I'll head to the pet store tomorrow. Is there anything extra I should do? Like keep the heater in or remove the gravel or anything?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'd do a full water change before you start - because you will need to dose twice and there will be a small water change inbetween. You want to make sure that your water is clean before you start so that you don't have a water quality issue mid-way through. This is especially important with a small tank. Follow the instructions on the package - but be aware of dosing. If you get API General Cure, the envelopes are made for a 10gal tank, so you will have to split it up.

If you can, I'd also switch your water conditioner out for Seachem Prime. Both will do the same job at removing chlorine and heavy metals - but Prime will also bind ammonia for a short time into a harmless form. This is really useful in a small tank, and would be really nice to have as insurance while treating. Dosage is 2 drops per gallon - so it lasts a long time too. You would use that dosage both to condition your water at water changes and to dose your tank daily for ammonia protection. (It's a temporary effect though - it doesn't replace water changes! ;-) )

As for the tank itself - you would want to keep both the heater and the gravel in the tank for dosing. Given it looks like your guy has internal parasites, there may be eggs or something similar in the tank. You want to dose *everything* so that you would kill those as well.

Good luck with your boy. I'm hoping this get's him back on the right track and he recovers quickly. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New and potentially dangerous development?

I have not yet added any of the stuff to the water because I'm going home this weekend so I will wait to add it when I get back but I have him in his travel cup and I noticed what appears to be a wound. It's on his other side than the picture I posted this morning. It's right below his fin. Is that a resultant of the parasites or did something else happen?

image.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts