Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my female bettas suddenly died. I’m completely surprised because she was acting absolutely fine. I live in Western Montana and we felt a pretty good earthquake last week. Since then, one of my other female bettas has been acting odd (hiding and skittish) so I’m thinking maybe the earthquake has something to do with that, but this little one was acting completely fine and almost seemed “concerned” about the spooked betta. So bummed to have lost her. In the pictures, can anyone tell, is that a bite or something else? I don’t have anything in the tank capable of that kind of bite—I think. None of the females are aggressive. One has a little attitude every now and then. But no chasing or nipping. Everyone else (aside from little miss skittish fins) is acting fine. I’ll check water tomorrow. Probably time to buy a kit.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallon
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78°
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Three other female bettas, two Otos, one mystery snail, two cherry shrimp, one dwarf frog

Food:
What food brand do you use? Top Fin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Pinch of food twice a day. Occasional frozen bloodworm treat (3x a week).

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every two weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Use a turkey baster
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime Conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: not sure for any, usually just take a sample with me to local pet store and am told parameters are “fine”
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Didn’t notice any, fish was acting fine
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Missing stomach, maybe? Other than that, nothing.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? She’s dead :(
Is your Betta still eating? Had a good appetite before she suddenly died
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No treatments
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? A couple months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whoa thats a bummer... why do you think her stomach is missing? Was she lying there for a while? D: What a pretty little one. I'm sorry to hear that. Nothing stands out to me by your information so unless the stomach issue was not caused by being eaten after the fact, maybe she had something genetic or was older than you thought. Sorry again :( Hopefully someone else can give their input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa thats a bummer... why do you think her stomach is missing? Was she lying there for a while? D: What a pretty little one. I'm sorry to hear that. Nothing stands out to me by your information so unless the stomach issue was not caused by being eaten after the fact, maybe she had something genetic or was older than you thought. Sorry again :( Hopefully someone else can give their input!
Thank you. I am totally bummed. I’m not sure if it’s her stomach. I just kinda assumed the missing chunk of her is where her stomach would be. She was swimming around this morning and ate with the other girls. Was totally shocked to find her on the bottom of the tank 12 hours later missing a chunk. Could the snail & shrimp have done that? I’m definitely curious to hear what others have to say.... just hope it’s nothing the other fish can catch like a bacterial infection or something. She must have died right after I fed them this morning. So strange.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you. I am totally bummed. I’m not sure if it’s her stomach. I just kinda assumed the missing chunk of her is where her stomach would be. She was swimming around this morning and ate with the other girls. Was totally shocked to find her on the bottom of the tank 12 hours later missing a chunk. Could the snail & shrimp have done that? I’m definitely curious to hear what others have to say.... just hope it’s nothing the other fish can catch like a bacterial infection or something. She must have died right after I fed them this morning. So strange.
I work at a pet store with a lot of fish but I'm not as experienced with mixed tanks like yours since our species are all separate. Normally, if other fish eat one of their fallen brethren, it will be very torn and ragged. The hole in her body seems very symmetrical so I would guess it was from snails if anything (I could be wrong.) I know someone else found a sudden large white ulcer on their betta and it was a ruptured sore from a viral infection that fish can get but his seemed different than yours. Im sure you're monitoring your other babies. Id make sure to keep their water pristine and if anyone seems off, update the forum about it. Hopefully the mods get back to you soon because they always have good advice :)

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Most likely the other females and the rest ate on the carcass.

The bare minimum for sororities is five. When you have three, then two can gang up on one. External injuries are easy to spot; internal not so much. Sometimes you see them fighting/bullying, and sometimes they don't do such until after the lights are off.

Also, if you don't know Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels you could be having parameter issues even if the water is crystal clear.

But there also may be no real reason. I've had Betta that were active and eating when the lights went out and dead when I turned them back on.

These are fragile creatures and sometimes you just never know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most likely the other females and the rest ate on the carcass.

The bare minimum for sororities is five. When you have three, then two can gang up on one. External injuries are easy to spot; internal not so much. Sometimes you see them fighting/bullying, and sometimes they don't do such until after the lights are off.

Also, if you don't know Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels you could be having parameter issues even if the water is crystal clear.

But there also may be no real reason. I've had Betta that were active and eating when the lights went out and dead when I turned them back on.

These are fragile creatures and sometimes you just never know.
Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and split up the sorority because I noticed what appeared to be bullying today. I’m still really bummed and feel horrible. At least my husband doesn’t mind all the tanks. I’m going to drive into the nearest city to pick up a test kit tomorrow since my local pet store is out. Le sigh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts