Betta Fish Forum banner

What do you think was the main factor to my betta's sudden death?

• water quality?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • temperature?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • stress?

• Petco fish?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all of the above

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female Petco betta died. *sigh*

Got her on Sunday. Refused to eat ANY food since I got her. :shock: Looked a wee bloated. (Didn't get a chance to try peas.) Constantly near, or at, the surface with her pelvic fins out like she was bracing herself. Did not swim around much. Gills moving steadily, no gasping. Dead by Tuesday night. Same stiff pose, but on the bottom of the tank.

5 gallon tank, no heater, no filter. Around 12"x6" of surface area for air exchange. No live plants. Piece of aquarium driftwood. Introduced to the tank over 30 minute period with water added to her bag every 7 minutes or so.

Her next-door neighbor, whom she can't see, is in the same location (same temperature) in a smaller tank (less than 2 gallons, no heater, no filter, live plant, upgrading soon). I've had him for months.

Biweekly water changes at 20-50%. I would say for both of them, but her first change was ON Tuesday. They got water from the same mix, dechlorinator and betta spa, that I left standing for a few hours next to their tanks. Same method I used to fill her tank originally.

So...
a) water quality?
b) temperature?
c) stress?
d) Petco fish?
e) all of the above.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Any idea of the temperature in your tanks?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have to agree with Charlie. Best guess is she was sick when you got her. Everything you did seems to be good. She may have had bloating before you got her, and if she didn't eat....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts