Betta Fish Forum banner

Suggestions for betta

473 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Plakattyphoon1234 
#1 ·
I have some questions (this is for upgrading it).
how Could i: add a heater (my betta is healthy, but how could i add it, my Kritter keeper hood prevents it)
Could i place it on a wood plank bookcase?
And where should i have my java ferns? they grown since 6 months and new growth happens. What wood is safe? The local petsmart and petco doesn't carry driftwood.
And are fruit flies available instore? (petsmart and co)
If so, show me pics.

#2 · (Edited)
Either cut out that hole on the lid and place it through that way (but it will leave a gap; not suggested for jumping fish). Or, just put the lid on over the heater cord. You won't be able to lock the lid on but it will still cover the tank and prevent jumping.

I have mine on a wooden bookcase with no problems. However like Aqua Aurora said if it's some flimsy piece of like Ikea furniture I would probably place it elsewhere. My bookcase is about 200 pounds or so, so that sucker isn't going to crumble for nothing.

#3 ·
Heater in critter keeper:
Try using a utility knife or tool style clippers to cut a notch in the hood (small) to let the heater cable through.
Tank on wood bookcase:
If it's real SOLID wood not particle board then the critter keeper should be leight enough when full for a proper placed bookshelf (if wall mounted it must be screwed into studs in the wall). Particle board can be iffy, and tends to bow and break if it gets wet constantly.
Java Fern
It can be placed anywhere sighing a tank but do NOT bury the rhizome (horizontal part that leaves and roots grow from) it will rot and kill the plant, it's best to tie loosely to decor, wood, or rock. The roots will eventually attach to the item it's tied to. The vary in size usually 6-10".
Fruit flies
I've not looked for them specifically but I don't recall seeing them at my local Petco petsmart, but every store is a little different.
Safe driftwood:
manzanita, Malawian, Mopani driftwood, you can find on ebay for fairly cheap Do the nylon test on wood and sand or cut any snag points before putting in with a betta. If it has a lot of small branches/nubs those Ned snipped off and sanded down to avoid fin ripping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.