Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at starting a 5-gallon setup for my new betta. He's in a 1-gallon until I can upgrade. I'm doing daily 100% WCs. He was given to me, so I had no time to prepare!

What is a good filter for a 5-gallon? Do they even make them that small?

Also, what is the smallest adjustable heater that is reliable?

Can I find these things at Petco?

Thanks so much. I'd put him in my 10-gallon but it's already stocked to its limit, and he is a very aggressive betta. I don't think he'd get along with the other tenants.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I absolutely adore this filter here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+9821&pcatid=9821
I have them in both of my 5.5 gallons! They are also adjustable which is fantastic for Bettas!

As for heaters, I really like this heater personally: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368 Some people don't, they do tend to overcompensate a little bit but if you have a thermometer this is not an issue. It's adjustable so just get the 25W one and you'll be set! I have mine set to around 75 and it heats right around 79-80 so it's really not that bad! I use the glass thermometers from wal-mart that are like a dollar and a half!

You won't find those things at PetCo, they do have some small filters but anything pretty much air driven kind of sucks except for sponge filters; those are great but generally they only have one type of filtration; mechanical which is the sponge part. There are three types of filtration: Mechanical (sponge), Chemical (carbon) and Biological which is your Nitrogen Cycle.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
There are several good adjustable 25W to 50W heaters on Amazon by Eheim, Hydor, Aqueon, TruAqua, Cobalt ---all in the ~$20 and up and down range. The Aqueon 50W is available at Petco and has a lifetime warranty.

Sponge filters are great for Betta. But if you want to avoid complexity the Azoo Palm is getting good press around here. It's cheap, adjustable flow and quiet with plenty of room for media. Plenty big enough for a Betta tank.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the Aqueon 50W in a 5.5 gallon. I've only been using it about 7 weeks but it's been doing a good job. THe temp is just where I set it and stays very consistent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts