Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Tested the water this morning and added that info.

Hi all, I want to thank you board denizens for previous advice on Sunrise earlier this year. We had been adding rooibos to his water and doing 25% water changes weekly. His fins never grew back but they weren’t getting worse.
Unfortunately, with going back to in-person school the fish tank has been neglected. As of three weeks ago there was a lot of algal growth and I finally got my butt in gear and made my kid do the same but I’m afraid it may be too late. There’s a big black patch on his sides near h
Purple Organism Tree Arthropod Marine biology
Liquid Water Purple Fluid Organism
Water Purple Organism Automotive lighting Plant

He also hasn’t been eating as well for a while now. He tends to “play with” his food a lot. Swims underneath the and noses it around; snaps at it and misses a bunch before actually getting it. I’m not sure how much he’s actually getting.

For comparison, here’s a picture of him from August.
Flower Plant Water Light Purple

Looking at it now it does look bulgy back by his tail but I didn’t notice at the time.
Anyway, the form. I will add the water quality parameters tomorrow morning.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Does your Betta have tank mates? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Zoomed
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? 1-2x day
How much? 3-4 in the am, 1-2 in the pm

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 1-2 weeks, but then none for a couple months. 😓 Then weekly these last 3 weeks.
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuumed, these last 3 weeks. But was just dipping out before.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? None
What brand of conditioner?Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:8.0
Hardness (GH):150 ppm
Alkalinity (KH): 180ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
This week, but tbh I haven’t been paying good attention.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? large black/rough looking patch near tail. Fins shorter still. Eyes still bulgy but they were before.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
I think I‘be mostly seen him staying by the top of the tank.
Is your Betta still eating? Still eats but not with gusto. Knocks his food around before finally eating. Doesn’t eat as many pellets as he did before
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Not yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Bulgy eyes and slowly reducing fins have been ongoing. Pretty sure the fins were b/c of biting.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since the end of September 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that we could tell but again, we’re inexperienced!

·
Registered
66 Posts
EDIT: Tested the water this morning and added that info.

Hi all, I want to thank you board denizens for previous advice on Sunrise earlier this year. We had been adding rooibos to his water and doing 25% water changes weekly. His fins never grew back but they weren’t getting worse.
Unfortunately, with going back to in-person school the fish tank has been neglected. As of three weeks ago there was a lot of algal growth and I finally got my butt in gear and made my kid do the same but I’m afraid it may be too late. There’s a big black patch on his sides near h
View attachment 1035830 View attachment 1035831 View attachment 1035832
He also hasn’t been eating as well for a while now. He tends to “play with” his food a lot. Swims underneath the and noses it around; snaps at it and misses a bunch before actually getting it. I’m not sure how much he’s actually getting.

For comparison, here’s a picture of him from August. View attachment 1035833
Looking at it now it does look bulgy back by his tail but I didn’t notice at the time.
Anyway, the form. I will add the water quality parameters tomorrow morning.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Does your Betta have tank mates? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Zoomed
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? 1-2x day
How much? 3-4 in the am, 1-2 in the pm

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 1-2 weeks, but then none for a couple months. 😓 Then weekly these last 3 weeks.
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuumed, these last 3 weeks. But was just dipping out before.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? None
What brand of conditioner?Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:8.0
Hardness (GH):150 ppm
Alkalinity (KH): 180ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
This week, but tbh I haven’t been paying good attention.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? large black/rough looking patch near tail. Fins shorter still. Eyes still bulgy but they were before.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
I think I‘be mostly seen him staying by the top of the tank.
Is your Betta still eating? Still eats but not with gusto. Knocks his food around before finally eating. Doesn’t eat as many pellets as he did before
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Not yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Bulgy eyes and slowly reducing fins have been ongoing. Pretty sure the fins were b/c of biting.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since the end of September 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that we could tell but again, we’re inexperienced!
I am not sure what this is because I did not read the previous post, but from the sound of it, it seems like your fish went a little bit neglected. If his water was not clean and he is losing fins and getting spots on his body this may very well be fin and body rot. The best medicine for fish is clean water. Keep up your maintenance and at this point, I think you should probably do 50% water changes daily until he improves. It looks like some of your plants may be a little bit tough for his fins as well. If you could change them out for softer ones/live plants and give him more cover that would probably also help. Find a good maintenance routine that works with your schedule so that you can avoid illness in the future. No judgement, I had to save a gasping fish TWICE because I was really depressed and forgot to do a water change on time. Life happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I did a 50% water change this morning and have another couple gallons prepping for the next one. Made it a nice strong rooibos brew. Hopefully that makes him a bit more comfortable.

I am thinking this might be velvet though. He had a bit of shimmery gold color back in the spring, under a flashlight. I just looked again and there is more gold than in the spring. I don’t know if that would explain the swelling though.
Here’s what I’m talking about. This is him in March:
Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Organism Purple

And this is now:
Eye Liquid Underwater Organism Marine biology

And with the aquarium light off:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I thought it didn’t look good. The question is what is causing it? I guess I didn’t want to throw a bunch of medicines at it that will stress him out without being effective against whatever is causing it. Though, it seems like it might be time to throw a Hail Mary pass. There are a couple of aquarium shops not too far away; I’ll try to get there this evening and see what they might have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The aquarium store guy sold us some kanaplex and we began dosing the tank last night. Aquarium store guy said to take the filter core out and put the pump part of the filter back in to continue aerating. However, the flow control is on the filter core that we removed, so the aeration is going full blast and making strong currents that the poor fish is having to swim against. I adjusted the height as best as I could and moved one of the tank decor to make a baffle but I was wondering:

for one betta one a 10 gallon tank, could I turn off the aerator for a stretch of time (hours? days?) to give him a rest? I don’t want to stress him out more than necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2,777 Posts
Hi, starting with the Kanaplex is a good idea, take care of the known issue and it should help with other outlying issues as well. Just make sure that you are not running activated charcoal.
He does appear bloated and it could be from the food, Zoo Med isn't the highest quality food.
Can you also provide a picture of his entire tank, or the next time you do a water change, take his decorations out of the tank and do a sniff to see if they smell off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you baffle the flow with something? Or if you have an air stone that would work too.
I tried to baffle with the largest plastic plant but it doesn’t seem to be enough. He has a couple hidey-hole spots so I turned off the light to encourage him to go rest there.

Would you be willing to give me some more info about air stones? Do they need to be used with a pump?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, starting with the Kanaplex is a good idea, take care of the known issue and it should help with other outlying issues as well. Just make sure that you are not running activated charcoal.
Thanks, I don’t think we are running active charcoal. At any rate, I suppose that’s why we were advised to take the filter medium out of the filter? Also, re: the Kanaplex, I’ve seen conflicting advice as to whether we should dose our main aquarium & do a 90% water change before each dose, or remove our fish to a hospital tank to treat him and do a 100% water change for each dose.
He does appear bloated and it could be from the food, Zoo Med isn't the highest quality food.
Thanks, I’ve seen recommendations for New Life Spectrum on this site; I’ll try to pick some up today.
Can you also provide a picture of his entire tank, or the next time you do a water change, take his decorations out of the tank and do a sniff to see if they smell off.
Sure, I will get a picture ASAP. We have cleaned all the decorations but there are a lot of nooks and crannies… what smell am I smelling for?

·
Super Moderator
798 Posts
You could treat him in the main tank or a hospital tank.

Performing a 50% water change is always a good idea before starting any medication.

Seachem doesn‘t mention any specific recommendations for water changes in between medication. Just, IF you are performing a water change, do it at least an hour before medicating (which won‘t be necessary in the main tank for 1 round = 3 times every 48 hrs).

Most likely you were advised to remove the filter medium due to the possibility of charcoal being in it. If you don‘t have that, run the filter as usually. After medication has finished you‘ll have to use charcoal though if you treat him in the main tank (to get rid of any residues from Kanaplex).

I know, it really sounds more complicated than it actually is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, and a tiny piece of good news! I figured out how to extract the filter medium from the bit that regulates flow, which I was then able to reinstall. So at least Sunrise is no longer trying to battle a typhoon-level current on top of everything else, and I feel marginally less incompetent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to thank everyone who posted for their advice so far. I got some NLS betta pellets, and yesterday evening we did a gravel vac/50%+ water change a couple hours before giving the 2nd dose of Kanaplex. I do have a few more questions:

1) What should I be looking for to tell whether or not the Kanaplex is working?

2) If there is no improvement after this course of Kanaplex, should I try a second course back-to-back, follow up with some other treatment (aquarium salt?) or just give poor Sunrise’s little fishie kidneys a rest?

3) Those NLS pellets are TINY compared to what he usually eats and he’s having trouble eating them. He seems confused about which pellet to try and go for & he doesn’t seem to be able to see them very well. Should my priority be giving him the higher quality food? Or keeping him fed and keeping the tank cleaner by switching back to something he has an easier time getting into his mouth, at least until we see how the Kanaplex situation plays out? Or should I stop feeding him for a few days & see if that helps the bloat?

4) I hesitate to ask, but has anyone seen a fish get better from this severity of fin & body rot or am I just prolonging the inevitable? He’s still active and interested in food so I don’t want to give up hope yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,777 Posts
What you're looking for is him to be more active and a little fin regrowth (some translucence in his fins around the edge).
I don't see anything too off in his tank, but if possible, do you have a hospital tank for him should this round not work?

If you don't see improvement, you want to wait about 3 days and give him another round of meds.
Keep feeding him the high quality food, he needs it and he will figure it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, unfortunately, while Sunrise did seem to be more active after his first dose of Kanaplex, I don’t see any signs of fin regrowth and the black fuzzy patches on his sides are getting bigger, and he’s losing color around those patches and on his tail. His third dose of the Kanaplex was last night and as of this morning he’s been resting on the gravel at the bottom of his tank when not being fed or bothered by me checking on him. Breathing looks heavier.

I was wondering if it could be a fungus or parasite instead of bacteria? Though it seems likely moot now as he is really starting to go downhill. I am starting to think that letting him go may be kinder than trying a bunch of additional treatments. But then when he swims up for his pellets with his little fishie face I want to keep trying. 😢

·
Super Moderator
2,777 Posts
That's the rough part. He's got multiple issues going on right now and I'm trying to hit the big issue first.
Unfortunately the progression of his infection is going to make things difficult, once the rot hits the body, the best case scenario is that he only loses the fin. I find with these little guys, they'll tell you when they're done fighting. If you want to continue, I suggest giving him the next round in a quarantine tank covered with a dark cloth if you have one, the Kanaplex is broad base and should hit the external infections until we can get around to the bloating.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts