Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow!! released them and there was a lot of nipping right away, but came back after 30 minutes of being worried and as a first time breeder I was curious. To my surprise they started spawning!!! So fast! I thought I would have to wait at least 3 days like most people. Here's a photo of the father and mother and their eggs, they are still spawning at this moment!! But I wanted to snap some shots.

Hopefully I can keep the frys alive! I'll keep you guys updated and I hope you guys enjoy this journey with me and hopefully help my newbie self out. Thanks! :grin2:

Edit: I should probably say I bought this pair from Vietnam, but the breeder doesn't remember what generation they are in... but I guess this will be f2 assuming I need a complicated melano and/or black lace gene. I'm still not familiar with genetics, I just want to breed. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
really nice, glad you got a very nice pair and not breeding pet store bettas like how i started, looking forwards to this spawn log, solid colors are some of my favorites especially super blacks and super reds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow very nice. As mention Rick, you start with the right pair. I guess most of us started with petstore pairs that does not give us the best result. Not impossible but less chances because you do not know the exact age, health, conditions and line.

For better results make sure that water is no more than 3 or 4 inches deep. If is more than that will be more difficult for the male taking care of the eggs and fry and also is more difficult for the fry to breath air.

I have high success with low shallow water level. Don't get me wrong. I am a noob, i have less than 20 pairs breaded and learning every day.

Good Luck and enjoy !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad news... my microworm culture is infested with fruit fly larvaes.... I do have vinegar eels that I just set up today. I made sure to completely cover the openings with a piece of toilet paper and rubber band. The mw got infested cause I poked a hole on the bottle cap. There was a lot of mw... sadly I will have to reorder a new culture. They did produce fairly fast. Only took 2 days and I had more than enough from both containers.

The father is still taking care of the eggs, the nest is humongous. I'm expecting them to hatch tomorrow.

The female is currently healing. Seems like her dorsal fins might not heal to its original state, but she's still gorgeous and healthy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy to announce that they hatched today. Super hard to get photos since male decided to put the nest far into the back and away from me. Haha he blocked so much shots too, wouldn't let me take any photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't have time to post anything last night, about 95% free swimming this morning took the male out. feed them some vinegar eels. Don't know how much I should be feeding since it's harder to see than microworms. MW supposed to arrive today, but not arriving until Monday.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For my next breeding i will have infusoria ready since looks like banana worms are still too large for them in the first week. Many die starving i guess.
That's great to know and quite sad that many are starving :crying:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here are some cute photos of some fry free swimming! Super hard to take the photos, but I want to say that there is approximately 100 frys, a lot more than I anticipated, but the more the better. :grin2: Hopefully everything goes smoothly in this spawn.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quite interesting, I go out of town on fridays and come back on sundays. I'm surprised they all survived. I still see 1 or 2 swimming vertically/can't swim. However, I did put like about 10ml of vinegar eel on friday night. Came back and put some more in, I also put some fine powder, supposed to be "micro", but it did attract a lot of the frys though. They started to munch on something too small for me to see. I wasn't sure if it was vinegar eels or something smaller, I was able to see some vinegar eels swimming in the area too.

My tank does have plants and small micro critters swimming around and i saw a worm, maybe detritus.

my heater and airline tube for sponge filter is starting to build a fuzzy brown coat. - what should i do?, also the bottom seems dirty, but then it could just be the IAL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to add that some fry have a black color, some are minimal, while some has no black color. So I'm assuming based on my spawn. If they grow up. I'll get a combination of dark colored and Cambodians. If I did my research correct. I should get some black lace, melano, super blacks, Cambodians, steel blues, etc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how big is your tank? I have trouble finding frys, I think my tank is too big, having trouble finding my frys
I spawned in a 5gallon, if they just hatched then they are like a piece of hair, have to be at eye level to see them. Otherwise i can see most of my frys about 1 feet away from my tank, they are pretty spread out though, but most of mine are near the surface which makes it easier to see.

So if they are free swimming you should be able to see them. mine are roughly the size of a newborn guppy right now. some are still smaller.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How many do you still have a life?
Oh no... I think i only have like 10 left... I realized that it was white fungus just now, and it was fine last night, but then this morning, its all over the tank. I should've known better. I forgot to get snails. Hopefully my last 10 stays alive, I might re spawn a new batch. They are getting stuck to the fungus and then they die from starvation i think.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, water quality is important. The white fungus isn't harmful apparently, but for me they are since the frys get trapped and they starve.

I was able to save 10 fry today did a complete water change, but fry are still in their old water but less fungus for sure. Hopefully it doesn't bloom over night. I think it started from the IAL. Since I did remember seeing the white fungus starting there.

I didn't want to put them in the new water yet.
Letting it age for a day and get to the right temperature as the old water. Hopefully these 10 fry will survive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts