Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo as many of you know I have spawned two HMPKs and I had come to the conclusion the male had eaten the egg/fry. Aftler several tough days of waiting and looking I could find NO trace of anything living in the tank. I labeled the spawn a failure. Seems I was wrong. I kept the filter and heater running in the tank, but that was more for the snails and the plants. I looked in the tank just a few days ago and saw nothing.
Seems I missed the fry I had living in there. I count about 5 at the moment with possibilities of others. They seem fine and can zip zip around the tank. I rushed to get some MW,BW,WW into the tank, and will be getting my brine shrimp hatcheries up and running ASAP.

So surprise I have fry....

·
Registered
206 Posts
lol NICE!! Great news! gl w/ them :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep a happy surprise.

So does anyone know the best way to clean the bottom of a fry tank?
I am getting my drip system set up today, but I have a LOT of snail poo to clean out of the tank, and MW,WW,BW to clean out.
So I need a simple way to clean up the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Will give anything a try at the moment. I just really need to clean the tank now that I know I have fry in there.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I attached a straw parallel to a piece of air line, just for something to hold onto. Chopstick would work well too though :) Good luck! Be sure to double or triple check for fry in whatever you're emptying the water into, so hard to avoid sucking them up, especially if they're that small

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they are no more than 2 weeks I think... I need to double check spawn date.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I am thinking I may try to move them to a smaller tank, any ideas?
I know the fry are sensitive and delicate at this stage. So if any one could suggest how to go about doing this I would be grateful.

·
Super Moderator
6,144 Posts
I wouldn't advise moving them at the moment. But if you need the tank for another spawn,- Fill the new tank with just enough old water (if your cupping fry, fill to the height of the cup). Cup fry and slowly release. You can also spoon them. Try not to chase them around the tank. Once fry have been moved, fill new tank with new water using the drip system.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Indjo I am not ready to move them at the moment, maybe start of next month so in a few weeks. By then they should be bigger. I am just trying to make sure I have them fed well and tank cleaned right now.
I have another tank set up for the first of my two upcoming spawns. I would like to reuse the current tank the fry are in.
Also the fact there are about 5 fry in a 20 gallon makes it hard to find them and make sure they are eating right.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I attach a piece of old panty hose at the bottom of the air line when cleaning the bottom of the tank. The poo will go through a run in the hose, but the fry won't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts