Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought a new plant for my betta JoJo's tank today. Long story short, two tiny loaches hitched a ride and are now chilling in the bag next to me as I type this. I'm pretty sure they are Kuhli Loaches, if not they look extremely similar.

Question is should I keep them or take them back to the store. I can't put them in with JoJo because he's in a 2.5 gallon tank. My 20 gallon has plants and such in it, but I haven't done anything with it since it crashed and all the fish died. Also it has gravel as the substrate, which after doing some research, I found the loaches need a softer substrate that they can bury into. I do have a 5 gallon with a dirt/sand substrate that I could put them in for the time being. If I do that I would be pulling a lot of plants and some decor from the 20 gallon to seed the crap out of it.

At the end of the day, I probably should just take them back, but they are quite cute and have grown on me since initially finding them. Only slight problem with taking them back is I don't know when I'll be able to get back to the store. I might be able to get there this weekend, but that's several days off. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, if I wind up keeping them, I'll be getting at least one more since I read they need to be in schools of minimum 3, so no worries there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello! I would bring them back to the store. I know they can grow on you, but unless you have the proper care for them already, I'd take them back. Since you can't get to the store anytime soon, put them in the 5gal for now and set it up as best as you can. If you have/get the proper substrate and other requirements (food, etc.) then you should be fine keeping them. In the end, it's up to you. The question is: Do you have the time and money in properly caring for 3+ loaches long term? Good luck!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If you can afford the time and energy to resubstrate the 20 you could keep them. If they are indeed Kuhlis they only get 4 inches long. I'm considering them for my 20g long once I'm sure my sorority is stable. And considering that you said there's nothing else in the 20 the bioload shouldn't be too high. Even unfiltered with a set of 5 Aqadvisor says you'd be at around 50% capacity. Add even a basic Aqueon Quietflow 20 and you'd have plenty of filtration in theory.

If you feel that you have the money to keep them, do so. You have the tank, it is set up and already planted. The only thing would be to re-substrate it and get food. The latter is obviously easier than the former.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone who responded! Just wanted to give an update.

As much as I wanted to keep them, my wife talked me out of it. The money I would have had to spend getting my 20 gallon set up would be better put to things like food. So we made a trip back to the store and they took them back.

Sucks because I really wanted to find a way to keep them, but it's for the best. Just means when I do finally have the funds to set up the 20g, I'll be looking into getting some of those little guys. :)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Good on you...they are cute little guys, now you have something to look forward to!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts