Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, apparently while I was at work training today, my bf decided that he wanted to help me get started on the sorority that I am wanting to build. He went out and got me a female VT. I know he meant well, but I am not happy about this.

I am at probably at least 3 months out from being able to start a sorority. That includes the costs of materials and the cycling the future tank. I am not feeling a special connection to this female. I had a specific set of colors and traits that I had in mind for my girls and she does not meet them.

I don't know what to do. Do I give it some time and hope she grows on me or what? I think he will not be happy if I ask to exchange her.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know it was sweet of him, but I am in no means ready for another fish. Feels like a burden at the moment. I am hoping my feelings will change in time. I also have no idea what to name her.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Honestly, I would return her and have a talk to dear hubbs about why live animals shouldn't be given as surprise gifts. I explained it to my boyfriend as "surprise! I'm giving you a responsibility!" Not many people want a surprise responsibility. Explain to him that if he wants to help you build the sorority, give you a gift card to get the equipment you want.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
This is a bit of a sticky situation. I personally would keep her, and then tell him no more suprise fishes and explain why so that it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL @ Leeniex. Thanks everyone for the responses. I think in time I will explain to him that I don't want to be surprised like that anymore. Hope is kinda growing on me at the moment, but it still means that I have to do more water changes. Since she has a smaller tank at the moment, she will need more water than the boys.
That is going to be difficult seeing as my training schedule is going to have me at work later. I will be leaving around 10:30 and getting home around 8pm. Hope is going to despise me for all the constant cupping I'll need to do.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
So, apparently while I was at work training today, my bf decided that he wanted to help me get started on the sorority that I am wanting to build. He went out and got me a female VT. I know he meant well, but I am not happy about this.

I am at probably at least 3 months out from being able to start a sorority. That includes the costs of materials and the cycling the future tank. I am not feeling a special connection to this female. I had a specific set of colors and traits that I had in mind for my girls and she does not meet them.

I don't know what to do. Do I give it some time and hope she grows on me or what? I think he will not be happy if I ask to exchange her.
Reminds me when my friend surprised me with my first betta. I had to research everything about them lol.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fortunately, I know what I need to do but I might need to post pics to make sure she's okay. She's got some spots that I'm not quite sure of. May be missing scales, part of her coloring, and I don't want to consider the other options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts