Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a King from Petco. The next day he was covered with what I found out to be columnaris. I had a hard time treating him, but a week later he pulled through. Now, I got another male (not king) and purchased him knowing he had finrot. The new male seems to be getting better, but I will definitely see more of a change later on. However, it now seems my king has finrot from possible cross contamination. He still has the scar on his back from one of the harsher treatments I used when the columnaris was strongest, but now the tip of his anal fin and 1/4 of his left pectoral fin seem to be infected with what looks like finrot as well. I didn't notice the pectoral fin until recently, but it looks like it is being eaten away every day. His anal fin also seems to be getting worse. The first day I noticed it, the eaten away part seemed dark red. Thoughts on if it is finrot? I am using Melafix, aquarium salt/salt baths, and some Indian Almond leaves (I hear the tannins help) for them both right now. They have separate equipment and I use different gloves handling/cleaning them. And lastly, my new male, with the finrot, still hasn't eaten since Petco (7 days ago) and is extremely skitterish. He seems lethargic until he sees me, then goes bat **** crazy. My king is the opposite. He has a huge appetite and is very personable. (For reference in photos below: King-black, new male-bicolor)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Melafix may do more harm than good, so be wary of that. A good cure for mild fin rot is aquarium salt. It calms fish and helps heal open wounds, but don't use it for prolonged periods of time and don't overdose it. The maximum amount of time you can use it for is 10 days. Also do 100% water changes to discourage bacteria growth.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Based on the tail in the last picture - it does look like you may have a bit of rot going on. I'm not really seeing any on the first guy though - that looks more like damage or biting.

You've answered some of this, but could you fill out the following questions? That would help use easily identify what you've done so far so we can advise on how to treat.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts