Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, Gary has been doing very very well!! He seems to love his tank and absolutely loves eating!!

Well, about 10 minutes ago, I go to his tank and get his food out. As normal, he starts going crazy knowing I am going to feed him. I give him his pellets and watch him eat. As he finishes, he swims to the bottom, all happy, but then darts back up to the top. A mosquito seemed to have gotten stuck under the hood of the tank and was floating on the water. Gary jumps half body out of the water and completely swallows the mosquito!! LMAO

I have never seen this in my life! Is this alright or should it worry me? Honestly, right now I think it is absolutely hysterical!! He eats anything and everything!! haha

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wouldn't worry all too terribly. As long as his belly isn't too big, he should be fine. Many a betta have taken down household flies, spiders, and who knows what else. Naturally, they're insectivores, so it's not *bad* for him. Just maybe too much to eat.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Mosquitos make wonderful betta food. My boy Odysseus wolfs down any little flying thing I drop in his tank. Mosquito larva are also great - if you leave a bucket of stagnant water outside, you should find some in there after a while (little black wriggly things with too many legs). They are basically live bloodworms and are fantastic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mosquitoes are fine :) I fed my betta girls mosquito larvae all summer long and they absolutely thrived on them! It's really awesome to watch them hunt down the little things too. As far as I figured, fish eat bugs :p They just never did eat that spider that i threw into the tank. I hate spiders! Blech.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL Ok cool!

Yeah I was a little worried at first. Especially mosquitos, who are known to carry all kinds of diseases and other nasty stuff. I might try the bucket outside though. Instead of buying the bloodworms, I can give him the fresh live ones! That would be cool

1 - 5 of 5 Posts