Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had many bettas but this is the sweetest betta I've ever had...

A few months ago, his behavior suddenly changed (more hiding) and he became very tired. I actually tried bettafix and could not believe it when it helped. But the symptoms slowly came back.

A few days ago he became worse. He only swims in short bursts and only occasionally, to visit his favorite resting places. His fins have a couple of splits but not signs of rot. He has some patches of color changes. Flashlight does not reveal velvet or inch. Don't think there is pineconing.

I'm having trouble getting a decent picture but since his main symptom is exhaustion this would be hard to photograph. Sometimes he is so tired he sits up to look at me instead of swimming up.

I have an ongoing algae battle but he always seemed to tolerate it. Doing frequent large water changes. Sometimes I think I see him breathing hard but I'm not sure.

I have cure-all on hand but I'm wondering if he should immediately be treated with an antibacterial rather than an anti fungal...hard to decide with tears in my eyes.

He still eats but has trouble grabbing his food. Any advice appreciated.

I tried to paste the list of questions that should be answered with each post but it is not working. Due to hand pain it is hard to keep going back and forth.

He is fed two pellets twice a day, varying between four different brands randomly so his diet is varied.

I've had bad luck with tanks and current so he is in a two gallon bowl. Temperature monitored. Water testing always comes out well. Some silk plants which he loves.

He is two and a half years old. My bettas usually live longer than this. He was purchased from a small local pet store; not a chain. They are knowledgable and care for their fish. We got him as a baby, fins not very developed and not showing their deep color yet.

He loves being sung to. Until this week, when he started hiding all day in the back, he looked at me all day...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Betta eyes

I have read that older bettas sometimes develop vision problems...maybe that's why he has trouble grabbing his food. He does know that I hold my finger over it if he's having trouble finding it but sometimes he tries and misses.

He's just an ordinary betta, no fancy shape. Has a muted red color.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts