Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
You will want to do more water changes in order to bring that ammonia reading down.
I don't know if you've had a chance to read this, but it may help;

·
Registered
420 Posts
You will want to do more water changes in order to bring that ammonia reading down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey there, my post was moved. Dunno where it went

Ammonia is at 0.

I feel like a failure because I tried many things to help him and he just gets super bloated again, swims erratically, hides behind the filter, and just hovers towards the surface.

When i did his water change this weekend, he swam so nicely, even towards the bottom. I felt so happy. But he's back to the top and now he's gotta a white spot on his head and 2 black stripes on his side. :(

·
Super Moderator
19,866 Posts
You're not a failure. Fish are fragile and, as with other tiny critters, they can go downhill fast. And they are often difficult to diagnose unless one can find a for them. As those who have hamsters and mice.

Unfortunately, many of use learned a majority of what we know about fish from our mistakes. At least, that's the way it was for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I read other threads, so I put a towel over thr tank over night. The stripes are gone, but the spot is still there.
He swam up to great me, but he's not eating.
I also discovered a red spot on bis right cheek now too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How long does cycling typically last?
I will place LongHa in a smaller tank in the meantime. I'm no longer comfortable with the larger tank and filter. The cycling with the new filter may help.

Should i give him a salt treatment + stress coat in the 1gal while the 2.5gal is cycling?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi! The treatments might help but I'm not an expert at all with either method. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will see your post and reply soon. Hang in there!

·
Super Moderator
19,866 Posts
There is always the possibility he suffered from some sort of injury before you got him. Or, he could have a tumor.

Have you done Epsom Salt baths? One table spoon plain, unscented Epsom Salt (well dissolved) per gallon. Place him in the solution for no more than 10 minutes. Monitor constantly for any signs of stress and remove immediately. If he was not stressed you can try again the next day.

You might not see any improvement or you might not see it immediately.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There is always the possibility he suffered from some sort of injury before you got him. Or, he could have a tumor.

Have you done Epsom Salt baths? One table spoon plain, unscented Epsom Salt (well dissolved) per gallon. Place him in the solution for no more than 10 minutes. Monitor constantly for any signs of stress and remove immediately. If he was not stressed you can try again the next day.

You might not see any improvement or you might not see it immediately.
I was just searching the forum about this. I bought a 1 gal to quarantine him further. Perhaps the substrate and live plant might be bugging him.

Anyway, I will do a 100% water change an cycle the tank with the plant and leave him in the 1 gal with clean conditioned water (I bought prime and stress coat+)

When I do the salt bath, does the water need to bw conditioned? I couldn't get a clear answer on that. Should I feed him daphine in the 1 gal instead of gis pellets as well for a few days? I dont notice poop in the 2.5, byt he does in a smaller one almost instantly. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just transfered LH to his 1gal. He hates me right now because i gave him the scare of his life trying to fish him out. Sorry buddy. I added the stress coat+ in there to help alleviate any stress hes feeling.

He is currently on his side. Clearly supee upset with me. The stripes came back but at least I know its because of stress. I'll put a towel over him again tonight and let him chill.

I'll start the epsom salt bath tomorrow. Should I add some seachem prime as well?

·
Super Moderator
19,866 Posts
Yes, use SeaChem Prime to any water you add to a fish tank. I even add to distilled because I'm paranoid. Oh, and don't forget to make a new solution of the ES mix.

You will need to cycle the tank with LH in residence. As you won't be removing him, it should not be stressful.

It's great you're conscientious and taking such good care of LH; not all Betta are that lucky.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good morning everyone.
After a bit of a sleepless night, I woke up to find LH is better spirits! He isn't floating, but sqimming calmly around thw 1 gal. He ate well, his colour is now a deep purple. But he's not outta the woods yet! He's gotta pooooooop. He will have the ES bath tonight.

When cleaning out the old subtrate from the 2.5, there was a foul smell. It added to my suspicions that it could have been the issue. While I thought about rinsing it out for the sake of my Java fern, after some research, I realized that guy can go just about anywhere, so I decided to use some red gravel type substrate.

I read up on this as well (1 gal tanks and that). I know some of you have. What heaters are being used. The convos keep going back to 2.5 gal and 25w. My 2.5 had a 50w which was the only thing that helped keep him warm enough imo. I stayed up all night because I was afraid of temperature in the 1 gal. Don't judge me, I put the 50w in there and laid it horizontally. Temp maintained at 78.8 degrees. If I ever found it was too hot (even to the touch), I was ready to turn it off.
But yes, a proper therm for a 1 gal would be ideal. At least until his 2.5 has been cycled.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I use the 5w flat heater in my 1 1/2 gallon. It keeps the water right a 78 depending on my home temperature if my house is a little warmer it sits more at 80 I tried the 15w but it started to heat beyond 80 degrees. They are the mini heaters that are always on I think and can be prone to over heating water. I wish I had a small adjustable heater that would fit in the small tanks. LOL and no one will judge you here. Especially for caring so much about heated water 😂 we’ve all had our ups and downs in this hobby. I’m glad LH is doing better 🤘🏻

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I use the 5w flat heater in my 1 1/2 gallon. It keeps the water right a 78 depending on my home temperature if my house is a little warmer it sits more at 80 I tried the 15w but it started to heat beyond 80 degrees.
These heaters are a mystery, eh? Would you mind telling me what brand you 5w is?

My 50w is still doing great (my mom is watching over him while I'm at work). Its currently at 79.0 and mom says hes looking comfy, not floating sadly or spazzing. His colour is now a dark purple. He's a pretty boy!

@Mbpoppy and @RussellTheShihTzu, taking him outta there was the best idea so far. That substrate is in the garbage and im growing the Java fern separately. That tank is getting a good wash with hot water and vineager and I will start the cycle tonight. I just need that poop! Hehe

·
Super Moderator
19,866 Posts
You can use the 50 watt in the one gallon. Unless it malfunctions it should heat the same as if in a 10 gallon. If you want a smaller adjustable, Hydor makes a 25 watt that is around 7" total. Hygger makes a 50 watt that is around 5". Either would work in a one gallon. Hydor also makes a non-adjustable heater so make sure you look at the in-line ones and not the submersibles.

I have used Hydor but not Hygger but it gets decent reviews. Toss out all the heater reviews that complain they and the thermometer differ. It is just as often the thermometer that doesn't read accurately. And equally as often, people don't let the heaters adjust before plugging.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Hi there.

Still no poops and he's struggling a little. New water parameters below:

Nitrate 0
nitrite 0
GH 300
chlorine 0
alkalinity 40
pH 8.4
Ammonia 0

I need some help with the epsom salt thing. I watched some videos and im not sure im understanding well or they're doing it wrong.

I understand, I need a 1 gal bowl. Inside I put 2 dropsof prime and a tsp of epsom salt. The salt dissolves and I add LH i side for 10 minutes (should he not pass out.

My question is, should there be a recovery tank (in case he does pass out, or after treatment) with 1/4 of the epsom salt dose in another 1 gal and prime before returning him to his original tank?

2nd question,
Will epsom salt also help with fin rot? I notice missing pieces already

21 - 38 of 38 Posts