Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I got a new betta. After putting him in the tank, I fed him a only few flakes. The next day I noticed that he was floating at the top, and if he swam down into the water, he would just float back up.

I started treating him for SBD- fasted for 4 days, and then the day before yesterday I boiled a frozen pea and fed him about 1/4 of it. He was still floating at the top so I did the same thing yesterday. Still floating.

He seems very active and happy. He'll play with little bubbles behind the filter and sometimes swim around on the top. Sometimes he just relaxes and floats on his side. I don't have a water test kit but will be getting one in this next week. My betta is in a 10 gallon aquarium with a filter and a heater.

Does this look like SBD to you, and if it does, how long should I repeat the pea treatment? Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? bettamin (flakes), betta bio-gold (pellets)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? flakes (fed him only once, but I've got some pellets to feed him from here on out, now)
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once a day- gave him only a few small flakes

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? newly acquired
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Don't have a kit, but I'm getting one in the next few days.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? a week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? no- maybe more bloated, but I hadn't had him long enough to form a good reference
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? nope- just floats
Is your Betta still eating? i started fasting him immediately after noticing symptoms
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? fed him 1/4 pea 2 days ago, and 1/4 yesterday
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? not sure
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? 1 week- was not suffering

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Do Espom Salt at 1 tsp per gallon for no more than 7 days. Don't feed him pea; it won't hurt him, but bettas are insectivores. Do 100% water changes daily in the hospital tank.

Also, I'd recommend getting a higher quality food like Omega One or New Life Spectrum. They have more protein and less fillers.

(Beautiful boy, BTW)

ETA: Its not SBD, he's just bloated.

Reactions: bettaBoy69

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow so I will grab some espom salt. Should I continue to fast him, still?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,226 Posts
You can treat with Epsom Salts for 10 days with no issues. After that it gets dicey.

If you can find frozen Daphnia they are good for Betta with constipation, bloat, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to my local pet shop and they didn't have any. The employee said she fed hers a small piece of algae pellet when he got bloated and it seemed to do the trick, so I bought them considering they were only about 3 dollars- I've held off on feeding it to him, though. Do you think that could clear him up, considering its plants?

The pet shop also had a freeze dried micro shrimp of sorts. Would that have a similar function for betas as would Daphina? If not, I can order some online.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Have you seen any poo? Moving a fish to a hosp tank allows you to clearly see if anything is "coming out".

How many gallons is this tank? Do you have any plants that you could position so he can rest on them?

He does look a little bloated...and I'm not sure about if freeze dried micro shrimp would be similar to daphnia for these purposes....but it wouldn't hurt to have them on hand so you can feed your little guy a varied diet. That is one mistake I have made it NOT doing that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts