Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? Topfin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Crumbles/dust
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once a day, pinch of bug crumbles

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1-2 times per week
What percentage of water did you change? 10-25% depending on how dirty the tank is
What is the source of your water? Fridge water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API conditioner and TopFin biological cleaner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His top fin is thinning/becoming clear/see through
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No behavior change
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Unsure
How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Unknown, but he did get his fins viciously attacked and eaten by my shrimp a few months ago (who was immediately removed). I'm hoping this is just him repairing the damage...
This was the best photo I could get since he doesn't show his top fin that often
Petal Botany Organism Plant Feather

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3.5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? filter aerates it
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? Topfin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Crumbles/dust
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once a day, pinch of bug crumbles

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1-2 times per week
What percentage of water did you change? 10-25% depending on how dirty the tank is
What is the source of your water? Fridge water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API conditioner and TopFin biological cleaner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His top fin is thinning/becoming clear/see through
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No behavior change
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Unsure
How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Unknown, but he did get his fins viciously attacked and eaten by my shrimp a few months ago (who was immediately removed). I'm hoping this is just him repairing the damage...
This was the best photo I could get since he doesn't show his top fin that often
View attachment 1042378
I take it back about behavior- I've noticed him hanging out at the bottom of the tank more than he used to

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Me and my steel trap memory, huh? :)

That looks to be new tissue.

Comparing the two photos, he may also be doing some fin biting. It's not something we usually see. Because he may be biting I would suggest keeping either IAL or plain Rooibos Tea in his tank 24/7 so they don't become infected.

Biting can be a one-time thing or an on-going problem. No one really know why they do it but there are lots of theories and some colors (platinum/white) are genetically disposed to biting.

Watch that bite out of the top of his caudal and note if he gets any more. Bites are often "u" shaped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me and my steel trap memory, huh? :)

That looks to be new tissue.

Comparing the two photos, he may also be doing some fin biting. It's not something we usually see. Because he may be biting I would suggest keeping either IAL or plain Rooibos Tea in his tank 24/7 so they don't become infected.

Biting can be a one-time thing or an on-going problem. No one really know why they do it but there are lots of theories and some colors (platinum/white) are genetically disposed to biting.

Watch that bit out of the top of his caudal and note if he gets any more. Bites are often "u" shaped.
Thank you more than so much for your help!! I am so relieved and will pick up the supplies for infection prevention tomorrow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts