Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 female bettas living in a 45g community tank and recently I've noticed one of them has been swimming side ways. I know its not from fighting cos all them get along.... I thought she was going to die but she's still swimming around and eating for the last few days.

Does anyone know what's wrong with her? Should I quarantine her?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Yes QT her & fast her for a few days. I would add 1 tsp per gallon of pure Epsom salt (pre-dissolved) to her QT tank. It could be a simple SB issue which fasting & epsom salt will likely take care of.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would aquarium salt work too? I don't have any epsom salt at hand. Sorry, by SB do you mean swim bladder? How does that affect her swimming and how did she get it? Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You need Epsom salt as it acts as a laxative. Yes I mean swim bladder, it can happen if they over eat or get constipated. The tummy bloats & puts pressure on the swim bladder. QT, Fasting & Epsom salts will tell you if that's all it is or if its something more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah right... Not sure where I can get hold of Epsom salt in Hong Kong but I'll try. At the moment I've kept her in QT and will fast her for a few days and see what happens...

Thanks for that.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Here in the states you can purchase it at pretty much any store; grocery, drug store/pharmacy, target type. Its usually in the first aid section & relatively cheap, just make sure there are no dyes or perfumes in it. Keep me posted on how she is, good luck.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate. It's used for soaking injuries like sprains, as well as a laxative. It's also used a lot for horses and other animals. So if you can't find it at a local pharmacy or grocery store, try calling a veterinary clinic. It should NOT be expensive. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) To give you an idea, it costs about $1.50 per pound in the US. (About $1.50 USD per 0.45 kg.)

(Aquarium salt is generally used for external issues. Epsom salt is used for internal problems, such as bloating.)

Edited to add: Do a Google search for "Epsom salt Hong Kong." When I did this, the results came up with several forum discussions on where to find epsom salt in Hong Kong, and also listed several pharmacies that carried it (but I don't know how far they are from your location).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts