Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Betta fans,

My 5-gallon filtered/heated betta tank currently has pebble gravel for substrate and my 1 Crowntail Betta, Apollo.
It seems to be working quite well after nearly a year, but after perusing other people's tank photos on these forums, I have decided that I prefer the aesthetic appeal that sand offers over the gravel.

Currently for plants/decor, I have an aquatic-safe rock cave, a floating Betta log, a small Amazon Sword that is doing QUITE well, and a free-floating bunch of Christmas Moss, both thriving. I also have an almond leaf to help with the PH as it was a TEENSY bit high when I last tested it, although now it's stable.
I ordered some Java Moss that I plan to let float freely, and Dwarf Hairgrass clumps from a reputable seller (I will quarantine upon arrival)
I'm trying to decide a few things before considering the switch from gravel to sand:

1. Is sand better for Betta over gravel? What are some pros/cons that others have experienced when using sand?
2. Is sand suitable substrate for the aforementioned plants?
3. If everything checks out and I decide to switch, what is the safest and best way to switch from gravel to sand, so as not to totally shock my sweet Apollo?

Thank you in advance for any and all help, suggestions, and input!

Sincerely,
Courtney

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Jedi the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams and 6 tetras,3) my cat!
61 Posts
Sand is ok for your plants. My betta likes playing with sand, I don't know how to describe it, and he never did it with gravel, so I think he prefers sand. Sand is more dificult to clean, but it looks great. I removed the gravel with my hand, and put the sand in the same way, and my bett didn't sem to be stressed. I hope this helped!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts