Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.

As the title says, I am thinking about switching bettas between two established tanks. One is a Fluval Spec V, and the other is a Marineland Portrait 5g.

I currently have a koi plakat in the Marineland, and an EE in the Spec V. I have noticed that my plakat does a whole lot more back and forth swimming than my EE. The EE just likes to chill on the betta hammock/silk plants/filter intake sponge/floor. He's basically the laziest betta fish ever and only gets frantic when he sees me. But then he just hangs out in his betta hammock staring at me. XD So I think that giving the plakat more room to swim back and forth while giving my EE more vertical space since all he does is lounge anyway is a better situation for both fish.

Both fish are healthy, as far as I can tell, and both tanks are clean and established. Is it possible to flip flop them? If so, other than acclimating, what would I have to do? Do I need to break the tanks down and clean them or anything? Do a large-ish or full WC? o_O I have never done this before, so I just want to take the proper precautions, if there are any. Both fish have a single nerite snail in with them, and neither one give any hoots about said snails. The snails may as well not even exist as far as they are concerned.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
202 Posts
i don't know that i would advise doing this, but I have done this successfully. I had both fish for months in established tanks (so I knew the tanks were each cycled and disease-free) and i swapped them into each other's tanks because my fish didn't like the lighting in one of the tanks. Each tank was the same temp so I just swapped them with no ill effects.

I wouldn't really recommend doing that unless you're sure everything is the same, no diseases/parasites etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't know that i would advise doing this, but I have done this successfully. I had both fish for months in established tanks (so I knew the tanks were each cycled and disease-free) and i swapped them into each other's tanks because my fish didn't like the lighting in one of the tanks. Each tank was the same temp so I just swapped them with no ill effects.

I wouldn't really recommend doing that unless you're sure everything is the same, no diseases/parasites etc.
I keep all of my tanks at the same temperature, and have had the EE for 4 months. I have had the plakat for, I think 3 months? The tanks were up and cycled before the fish were added, and I do all of my water changes with water from our tap, so all the water is the same. Both fish have been healthy and active, and I have not had to medicate for anything. *knock on wood that it stays that way*

What if I did relatively large water changes like a day or so prior to switching them? Apart from investing in a serious microscope, I don't know of any way to guarantee that the tanks are disease/parasite free. But for now, neither fish is showing any sign of stress, and they are both active and healthy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know that a water change would affect anything either way, but maybe someone with more experience has an answer.

Like I said, personally I have done it no problems, but every situation may be different

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
+1 to Russell.

If your fish are both healthy and the tanks established then that shouldn't be a problem,just cup them up and switch them over.

If either have a favourite piece of decor or something (like their own cave) you could swap that over too just to help them feel more settled.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 to Russell.

If your fish are both healthy and the tanks established then that shouldn't be a problem,just cup them up and switch them over.

If either have a favourite piece of decor or something (like their own cave) you could swap that over too just to help them feel more settled.
Thanks! :) I will do that when I go through doing my next water changes.

Lol, the only decor the EE cares about is his betta hammock..XD And the PK has no opinion on decor at all. He hangs at the top of the tank all the time and doesn't like to venture downward much (hence the switching them, so he has more horizontal space instead of vertical, since my EE doesn't do a lot of swimming anyway).

Sweet! :) I think they will both be happier swapped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts