Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I bought some Tahitian Moon Sand since it was recommended by a few users, and I'm curious if I can use my gravel vacuum the same way for sand.

Another question: should I use only sand, or should I have sand with a layer of gravel on top? I'm thinking of adding African Dwarf Frogs to the tank, so I want to make sure that the substrate is appropriate for them too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Everything I've read about frogs has said sand is a good choice, and mine seem to do well with it. I'd skip the layer of gravel on top, especially if the pebbles are small enough to fit into their mouths...but big enough to get stuck or for them to choke on. They're not the brightest creatures. Plus with sand everything sits on top, so any extra food is easy to clean up right away, it wont fall through the gravel and foul up the tank.

As for gravel vacuuming, this is gonna depend on the strength of the suction. Like I mentioned above, with sand the poops, mulm, etc sit on surface of the sand, so you won't need to go as deep with the gravel vac as you would with gravel, nor will you be able to without sucking up the sand. For mine, I find that I can push it slightly into the surface of the sand and not suck up a ton of sand. If I start to get alot of sand I just stick my finger over the output and it'll pause the siphon and drop the sand back down, then I take my finger off the end and continue. You'll just have to play with it to figure out how close you can get to the surface of the sand to clean the surface of the sand without siphoning out all your sand out as well. It helps to siphon water into a bucket instead of the sink/outside. That way you can retrieve any sand that gets sucked up.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I use a piece of airline tubing to clean my sand substrate (Tahitian Moon....love it). Just hover the tubing a bit over the sand and it will suck up everything. Don't put the vacuum into the sand as you do to clean gravel.

+1 ^ about the gravel. Stick to straight stand with ADF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts