Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some play sand that I've been advised is safe for fish tanks, will of course give it a proper cleaning but I'm wondering the easiest way to switch the substrates out without too much stress to the fish and I don't want to have to cycle all over again. Is it possible?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have some play sand that I've been advised is safe for fish tanks, will of course give it a proper cleaning but I'm wondering the easiest way to switch the substrates out without too much stress to the fish and I don't want to have to cycle all over again. Is it possible?
I'm afraid the easiest way would be to empty the tank and remove the gravel, and add in the new substrate which would be sand. You could save the water from the tank and pour in the same old water after you added the sand, that might help to not destroy your cycle. Plus the filter media in your filter will help speed up the process anyways, so you won't start from square 1.

Hope that helped. :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
OK, I am in NO way an expert, but it's often advised when people want to shorten the length of a cycle that they can get gravel from an established, healthy, tank, put it in a net bag and drop or hang it in the new tank. Since you will be using the original filter media I don't know if this would be necessary, but it might help shorten the adjustment period for the tank after the switch.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I've decided against the play sand now. It looks a bit messy and I don't want to upset any fishies. I researched it on a few other sites and I just don't think it'll work for me. Maybe I'll just go for said from the get go next time. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts