Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been attempting to treat for a swollen gill for the past few weeks on one of my new Koi bettas. He came in with a swollen gill, and it had gone down a bit after acclimating him to his temporary tank. However is it still persistent, and it’s been over a couple weeks. Now I’ve been treating as other forums that I’ve read up on doing water changes and testing my levels. I’ve tried adding some aquarium salt as some forums have recommended, but it hasn’t helped. The fish has been super active and seems perfectly healthy otherwise. His colors are still getting brighter and better. I’m wondering about possible medications to try.
My ammonia is 0ppm
Nitrates are 0ppm
Nitrites are 0ppm
I have tested these levels with my API master test kit. I haven’t tested other parameters yet. All my other bettas are in water from the same source with the same treatments, prime and stability. I don’t think it’s my water as none of my other bettas have issues, and he is the only one, and he came with the swollen gill. I’m going to try to get him in a cup and get detailed phots within a couple hours to add to here, however I can’t see any physical damage the the area around the gill or to the gill itself. I feel as though it may be an infection, but he’s been just fine behavior and energy wise. Maybe it’s just a damaged gill or formed this way, but if it is an infection, what is the safest medication to use that will actually be effective? Thanks to all.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Before anyone can help you knowing the answers to the questions in this form they would just be guessing. Also, we need photos. Please fill out in its entirety even if you are repeating yourself. Thank you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before anyone can help you knowing the answers to the questions in this form they would just be guessing. Also, we need photos. Please fill out in its entirety even if you are repeating yourself. Thank you.

Sorry, I posted while on the go and haven’t been home to get photos or had time to fill it all the way out. Posting now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing:

2Gal quarantine tank

Filter: Yes

Heater: Yes

Temp: 78°F

Air stone: Yes

Tank mates: No

Food: Aqueon Betta pellets and omega one betta pellets, with occasional blood worm and brine shrimp treats.

Betta is fed twice a day 2-4 pellets, with Sunday being a skip day, intended to help clean intestines and avoid blockages

Maintenance:

Betta came “sick” doing weekly water changes at first have now started some water changes every 3 days, along with aquarium salt.

Percentage changed is 30-40%

Water source is tap

Vacuum substrate

Additives are Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability.

Water parameters:

Nitrite is 0ppm

Nitrate is 0ppm

Ammonia is 0ppm

Ph is 7

Hardness is N/A

Alkalinity is N/A

Tests were done with api master test kit.

Symptoms and treatment:

Betta came shipped with issue.

Gill is still swollen, however fish is active eating flaring and colors have gotten brighter since shipment.

Betta behavior is unchanged.

Betta is still eating.

Have treated so far with aquarium salt and water changes for around 2 and 1/2 weeks. No reduction in swelling of gill.

Betta have history of illness? New betta came “sick”

Betta owned for about 1 month

Gill swollen upon arrival.

All in all, I’m looking for the best medication to treat the gill that won’t hurt the fish, as water changes and aquarium salts aren’t appearing to help so far.
Photos soon, trying to take them as this is being posted.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Can you tell if this is an injury or the construction of the gill itself. Do you have seller photos which show his gill to be normal?

Clean water is your friend and your schedule is a good one. I would also add Indian Almond Leaves or Rooibos Tea for their antibacterial properties and SeaChem Stress Guard for its antiseptic properties. You can make a strong tea out of the former and store leftover in the refrigerator.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I’ll try your suggestions! I appreciate it. Unfortunately the seller only had photos of him flarring with his gills out so it’s hard to tell. He acts completely normally and his gill is normally not that puffed up, I caught him in a yawn for that close up photo and I’ve personally not seen any physical damage, or any signs of infection so I’m at a complete loss. He did arrive with the gill issue, but it hasn’t seemed to cause in life issues so I don’t know if it was damaged or bruised in shipping or if there is some hidden infection at work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts