Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to turn off the light on my Betta aquarium one night, and the water temperature rose to 85F, I quickly cooled down the water to 80F. Overnight, the water cooled to 77F. I noticed he had swollen lips and a patch of white fuzz on his body. I quickly treated with aquarium salt (2.5 gallon tank) and started to aerate the water. His gills are not moving, but his fins are. Please help!
He has trouble trying to breathe surface air.

Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite: N/A
Last water change: 3 days
Size: 2.5 gallon
Heater?: No
Filter?: No
Water Movement?: Yes
Aeration?: YES
Moving?: Yes. In one corner
How Important is this?: Very.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Can you post a photo?

White fuzzy patches can indicate Columnaris, a bacterial disease.

Leave the water temp at about 76-77F. Cooler water slows down bacterial growth.

How much aquarium salt did you add?
When did you add it?
Is the fuzz getting better or worse now that you've added it?

Columnaris is an aerobic bacteria, so adding extra oxygen to the water will help it grow. Therefore, I would stop the aeration for now.

Columnaris can be aggressive, so you may need to use something that can wipe it out.

If the salt doesn't work in 1 day, I would switch to a gram negative antibiotic. Any one of the following should work:
API Furan 2, Bifuran or Jungle Fungus Clear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you post a photo?

White fuzzy patches can indicate Columnaris, a bacterial disease.

Leave the water temp at about 76-77F. Cooler water slows down bacterial growth.

How much aquarium salt did you add?
When did you add it?
Is the fuzz getting better or worse now that you've added it?

Columnaris is an aerobic bacteria, so adding extra oxygen to the water will help it grow. Therefore, I would stop the aeration for now.

Columnaris can be aggressive, so you may need to use something that can wipe it out.

If the salt doesn't work in 1 day, I would switch to a gram negative antibiotic. Any one of the following should work:
API Furan 2, Bifuran or Jungle Fungus Clear.

Added salt yesterday. Turned off aeration. Don't see any white fuzz anymore. About 1/2 teaspoon was added. Still, his mouth is very swollen and I feel so bad for him. He struggles to get some surface air. His gills don't move. Bubbles come out of his hills when he gets surface air. Have not fed him today. :( sorry for my bad typing I'm just a 11 year old boy :(

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
I forgot to turn off the light on my Betta aquarium one night, and the water temperature rose to 85F, I quickly cooled down the water to 80F. Overnight, the water cooled to 77F. I noticed he had swollen lips and a patch of white fuzz on his body. I quickly treated with aquarium salt (2.5 gallon tank) and started to aerate the water. His gills are not moving, but his fins are. Please help!
He has trouble trying to breathe surface air.

Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite: N/A
Last water change: 3 days
Size: 2.5 gallon
Heater?: No
Filter?: No
Water Movement?: Yes
Aeration?: YES
Moving?: Yes. In one corner
How Important is this?: Very.
JUst a few tips if the temperature rise to 85*F don't quickly cool the tank turn off the heat source and let the tank cool naturally much less stress on the fish. Flexibacter, Columnaris is a gram-negative rod bacterium( so an antibiotic MAYBE in order) (Flavobacterium columnare) that commonly infects aquarium fish. Bettas are especially susceptible.

Rick

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Your typing is fine....

I would do this:

a) Do more frequent water changes. (Changing the water will help keep the levels of bacteria low.)

b) Try to keep the water temp about 76-77F for now. (Cooler water temperature slows down the rate at which bacteria reproduce.)

How much water do you change when you do water changes? (Either how many gallons do you replace each time? Or what percentage do you replace each time?)

Ask your parents to take you to Walmart. Look for Jungle Fungus Clear in the fish aisle. A box will cost you about $3.50. Here's a link, so you know what to look for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your typing is fine....

I would do this:

a) Do more frequent water changes. (Changing the water will help keep the levels of bacteria low.)

b) Try to keep the water temp about 76-77F for now. (Cooler water temperature slows down the rate at which bacteria reproduce.)

How much water do you change when you do water changes? (Either how many gallons do you replace each time? Or what percentage do you replace each time?)

Ask your parents to take you to Walmart. Look for Jungle Fungus Clear in the fish aisle. A box will cost you about $3.50. Here's a link, so you know what to look for.

Do you know what could be the cause? What bacteria/disease is this? (Swollen lips) here's a picture for a better look. His body is tilted up and laying on his side. Halp! My parents don't have time to take me anywhere right now, so it might be tomorrow I could get it

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
S.I.P Betta

Sadly, after returning home with proper medication, he passed away. Thank you for all your help, and good luck with your Betta Fish.

S.I.P Betta (unnamed, but I call him Betta.)
2013-2013
16 Weeks with him, or 8.28 Months
Plakat, Male
Petco

Cause of Death: Columinaris, Bacteria, Poor Water Quality

1 - 10 of 10 Posts