How many gallons is your tank?
2.5, currently in a 1 gallon QT tank
Does it have a filter?
No
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
78° - 80°
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Hikari
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried?
No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
2 or 3 pellets given twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Weekly, back in his 2.5 gallon. Currently treating for fin rot, so I've been doing daily changes for the past 5 days.
What percentage of water did you change?
50%; full changes over the past 5 days.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Dipped out the water, but did a thorough cleaning of the substrate every month or so
What additives do you use?
Kordon AmquelPlus and API Stress Coat. I've been doing a double dose of the stress coat for the past 5 days, and I've been adding 1 tsp of API Aquarium Salt during daily changes since Friday.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

These were the numbers tested a couple of hours after a daily full water change.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): Not tested
Alkalinity (KH): Not tested

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
His midsection's looked a little bloated for at least a month, maybe two, but I hadn't really thought much of it until recently.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Mid to lower abdomen is bloated, in an oval shape.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Barely at all. He's been hanging around the top of his tank a lot, but still swims actively and upright. When swimming, he does take on an S-like shape.
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
He has fin rot, which I've been treating with a double dose of API Stress Coat and daily water changes since Wednesday (5 days) and began treating with API Aquarium Salt on Friday (3 days). I haven't done anything separate to treat his swim bladder.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Prior to the current fin rot, not to my knowledge.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue?
Around 7 months now, and he was saved from a local Petco.

Even though he's looked to have had a swollen swim bladder for quite some time now, it hasn't seemed to be causing him any trouble so I haven't worried about it. But because it's been lasting so long I'm starting to get concerned.

The fin rot treatment hasn't seemed to have any effect on his swim bladder one way or the other, and aside from having a tendency to swim around the top and the sides of his tank it still doesn't seem to be bugging him very much.

I'm planning on letting his fin rot heal before doing anything else, but are there any guesses as to what's causing his swim bladder to bloat? Because it's been like this for so long without any other issues I'm inclined to think it probably isn't constipation. I'm at a complete loss as to what might be causing this, or how I might go about treating it.

The first two pictures were taken during the first month I had him. The next five are from just before I began treating his fin rot, and the last two were taken a couple days after treatment began. I can take another picture or two today once I'm back at my room.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts