Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as someone who's dealt with a biter for a long time now, I've gotten to experience the lovely mood swings that come with regrowth and then shredding again. Ugh. Anyone else want to chime in and vent and/or provide any sort of advice or comfort? Biting sucks, but we're all in this together!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a little female named Misty who just loves to bite her fellow betta, Rainbow's fins, and any other fish/thing she comes in contact with. Fake plants, the tank itself, rocks, she just likes biting things, but I love her all the same :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ugh, I have 3 fin-biters. 2 halfmoons, and 1 veiltail. Every time they get nice, clear regrowth, they decide to bite again :evil:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Ohh yes, I know these all too well. Although I've come to just accept it, and move on. Chili is my little red turd when it comes to biting. He'll be fine for a while, then the next time I look at him his anal, or something is shredded. Grrr :-/

·
Registered
846 Posts
My VT Fawkes never bit before until one day I tried to switch some plants around because I thought there was a chance of fin tearing. Well that was a bad idea because he bit his fins until the day I put the plastic plant back.... I'm going to try again later this week and I'm legitimately anxious about it.

Prism is my HM who has not had a full tail in the months I have had him. He was biting in his cup and has not stopped since. I suspect it may have gotten worse being divided with Fawkes, but I don't have the space to move him yet. So we'll see if that ends up being why when I experiment with moving him at a later date.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Still pretty bummed about my past foster Big Red =\ he's not really a fin biter, but I forgot to put up the view blocker between him and another male foster one day, and he lost a quarter of his tail

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This what Lafayette's tail looked like before and after he shredded it. Now he has that clear regrowth of which he decided to chew some off two days ago. I really thought I had figured out what was stressing him out but now I'm scared it's going to get super bad again. It had just grown back. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have four fin biters, three of them are HMs, one is a DTHM. The first three had done it for a while, and I could never figure out what caused it.. Recently, one of my favorites with the biggest most gorgeous fins decided to completely chew his off randomly. He was the only HM I had who hadn't bitten. He stopped, he was getting some regrowth, and he bit them even shorter.

I'm honestly done with HMs. Maybe I'll give a VT a chance or a PK but I don't want any more fin biters. It's extremely stressful trying to figure out what you're doing wrong.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Sometimes they just bite for the sake of biting. If you have ruled out all possible stress causes, then he probably simply decided that his tail is too heavy to drag around.

Going off that, here's my fluffiest boy Sapho. He's borderline RT, and a DT geno carrier. So his fins are massive. The first photo is his first day home. Seeing his fins, I honestly just shrugged. If his life would be easier with less weight, then by all means go drop those weight. But somehow under my care he never bit again, and his fins made a full recovery. In all honesty though it only makes me worry. What will happen when this boy grows old?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I have a funny story, I have a PK that bites, I got him like that, and am not sure what's caused it, he's a happy boy though, which is what matters.
Blue Snapshot Organism Aquarium Zoo

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I swear one of Lil's girl (was it Snowcap?) fin-bites. It really is a Betta thing instead of an exclusively-long-fin thing. I'm more with Russell and Dangerous here tbh. As long as I know their living conditions are ideal, and that my maintenance schedule is appropriate, fins are just aesthetics. I do feel bummed when Big Red took a bite, but hey, it'll grow back.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could have that mentality. Sadly, biting is still the bane of at least my fish keeping existence at the moment. Idk why it bothers me so much... maybe because I always feel like it reflects his mood and I hate to see him anything less than content.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Well it doesn't. I still remember your first post here about you throwing up when Lafayette first started biting. Honestly I find that (very) concerning. In case you haven't noticed, since then I pointed out multiple times to you in different threads that: "hey, you're NOT doing anything wrong. Fin biting just happens!" See, I just did it again. I understand we all love out pets, but your health comes first. I genuinely feel like you need a specific coping mechanism to handle this anxiety. It is not typical Betta owner woes when you literally have panic attacks. What about a sticky note on the tank wall that says something like: "I just have a bad habit, that's all!"?

·
Super Moderator
22,958 Posts
Fin biting isn't a reflection of the care we give Betta. It's their personality. You can avoid bright lights and densely plant and still have one bite.

As my psychologist used to tell me: "Only sweat the stuff you can control."No one can control a Betta's fin biting = no one should sweat it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, thanks for the support. I am coping with my anxiety and yeah it use to be a lot worse when he first started biting. I'm doing slightly better now. Hopefully I'll be able to get over this soon, it seems to be bothering me way worse than him anyway

·
Super Moderator
22,958 Posts
Glad you're doing better! :thumbsup:

You aren't the only one who stresses over fin biting it's just you're brave enough to admit it. We won't go into how I reacted to my first fin-biter all those years ago. ;-)

I hope it gets easier for you. Anxiety is a real itch to deal with and certainly deserves every bit of sympathy, reassurance and positivity others can muster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts