Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two boys, once they got in the 10 gal, were doing great! Nebby's petstore fin rot healed and new fin grew back, and Comet stopped biting and I finally found out that he *is* a VT. (yeah it was that bad :c) I went away over the long weekend, and came back to Nebula having killed his tail. It was neatly done, the top half mostly missing, as much as he could reach, really. Around Thursday, I came home from school to find that Comet had shredded his tail and anal fin :mad: There's already some regrowth on Nebula, who's left it alone since then. I went out Saturday night; lo and behold, when I got in, Comet had taken another good chunk out.

Is there any way to stop this?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think I read about some remedies by giving your bettas something to do other than bite their tail. Some people periodically put up a mirror to let their aggression go towards their reflection. Some people give their bettas a lot of decorations to let them explore and put up a lot of caves and places where they can hide.

I'm not really sure if that will help at all but that is what I read that can help. Fortunately I have yet to have a fin biting issue but I've only had my betta for a week.

Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice :)
Frustratingly enough, I try my best to entertain them. The divider is partially see-through, so they flare at eachother when they feel like it. I know there's not enough decorations in there yet D: but i try my best to change around the environment outside the tank, and put things in like buttons on string to play with. Good luck with your new fish, btw :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
On normal occasions, are you generally near your tank during the day?

One of my boys, who has always been next to me at my desk (except for one stint when I tried to put him elsewhere, but he started stressing and hiding until I moved him back) started tail biting when I was away during a surgery.. never a bite before, but did a good number on his fins when I was not next to him daily. Once I returned to being able to be at my desk during the day, he stopped.
It may be that their routine had changed when you were away and it stressed them out..

Is the filter baffled or on a low setting?

·
Registered
610 Posts
My poor boy munches on himself too. Everyone says changing decor around helps, keeping him amused by putting a mirror in front of the tank, sometimes tankmates may be stressing him out. It could be a variety of reasons.
First step would be to move some plants around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nebula is no longer a problem - he just does it when I'm gone for the weekend, I'll have to live with that. Comet, on the other hand, is being absolutely BRUTAL. I can in today and his tail and dorsal are totaled. There are pieces hanging off the rays, big bite marks... His tail is probably a quarter of its original size. His side has the filter, on which the outflow is baffled, but not the intake. I turned it off for tonight in case that's the problem. Tomorrow he's getting QTd and the intake is getting baffled. Either it did that to him or he did that to himself; there is absolutely no way Nebby could've gotten at him, and because he's been strange and accident prone, his side of the tank is as betta friendly and fin safe as possible. He has a nice, leafy silk plant, a mug cave, and some tank-made seashells.

This has only started since I got back from the long weekend, about two weeks ago now. I've had more homework than usual, so I use the opportunity to spend time with them. Nothing in their routine has changed other than that. What in the WORLD is going on here?!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His condition hasn't really improved, but it hasn't changed since yesterday... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts