Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night I came home with an awful headache and didn't have a chance to feed Twpysn. I woke up the next morning and I noticed his tail had drastically shrunk. Perhaps he got caught by the filter? But he's swam by it plenty of times without issue. I put my finger against the glass and he flared, which is abnormal. He usually doesn't even notice it.

Could he have nipped out of anger that I didn't pay him any attention/neglected to feed him at his usual schedule? Even now I don't see hints that he'd go at his tail. No sharp spins, etc. He's in a 5.5 filtered, planted, 82* tank and seemed to be living it up until that night.

Long story short, he's missing most of his spiky tail. How long does it usually take to grow back?

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Poor boy. It does look like tail biting does he have tank mates? If yes, check they are not nipping him. Ial (Indian almond leaves) is my favourite thing for speeding up fin repair. Ky is an angry little fellow sometimes and self harms and ial always helps his fins go back to their former glory. Also upping the temp and doing more frequent water changes can help a lot too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No tank mates. All by his lonesome. If he had a bigger tank I'd probably feel braver about adding in a small school, but that's on the to-do list later on down the line. I'll keep an eye out for ail and up the water changes as well. He's picky and demands them anyway, but I can spoil him a bit more, lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts