Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im really stressed out about my betta. Ive had him for about 1.5 months and he hasnt had any issues. Then, just today i noticed that his tail fin was shreaded. Its pretty bad and it happened really fast. What should I do?
Im leaving in 2 days and will be gone for 5 days. I cant take him with me, and theres no one to take care of him.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Ellen

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Could he have ripped it on anything in his tank? can you get a picture of his fins, possibly show him a mirror so he spreads them out enough to see clearly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the best photo I could get. His tail is much shorter than it was, and the webbing between the thicker parts is missing. In some places there are holes and the tail in general is ragged. I dont think its anything in his tank since hes had the same tank for a month and this happned recently and quickly. I didn't notice it this morning

Attachments

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
He should be fine while you are gone I feel, give his water a change before you head off (even a partial one) to keep the water quality sparkling which will help to keep out any infection. Don't use a feeder block while you are gone- they can mess up the water chemistry and encourage infection in a new wound. Just feed him right before you walk out the door and right as you get home, bettas can go a long time between feedings.

For your trip don't fret too badly, he cant do too much damage to himself over your time away and hopefully it is only a one off ocurrence. We can start addressing WHY he did it once you are back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much!

I gave him a full water change as soon as I noticed there was something wrong. Ill keep an eye on him until I leave, and Ill update as soon as I get back.

Thank you :)
Ellen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got back a few hours ago, and he didn't look so good. But then i gave him food and he perked right back up! his tail is looking much better, though not nearly back to normal. Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good to see its working out so well, hopefully it was a one time thing and he can grow that handsome tail back with no more mishaps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts