Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Okay it does look like fin rot to me and believe me some strains act incredibly fast. I once had a betta who had mild fin rot for about 24 hours, hardly any damage at all in fact a lot of people would have trouble picking it but I could see the edge looked damaged. The next day within around 4 hours 2/3 of his tail had literally melted away it was so horrible! I treated with antibiotics and he came good, no further fin damage after 24 hours and within 3 weeks he had substantial regrowth.

I would recommend treating with something like maracyn 2 or furan if you are in USA otherwise tri-fulfa tabs might help. A classic sign of fin rot is that the membrane of the fins receeds first leaving only the rays and eventually the rays break off too. Your boy has these symptoms.

Fin nipper generally tear large chunks of fin off including the rays.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
literally I fed him this morning and he was fine, and at like 4 ish half of his tail was gone, this would be a crazy case of fin rot, if it is...
Also the edges are not discolored, they look kind of frayed, I'm thinking maybe it got stuck in the filter, although I put a rock there to prevent it, i've removed the rock and put my filter into the gravel.
Just in case it is fin rot, should I change the water tonight? I can't get any medication until Friday.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
If he lost a good amount of fin in a short period of time, he probably snacked on it. It will grow back BUT only if he stops nipping. They bite out of boredom, stress, dont like their heavy fins or just cause they can.

Keep the water clean or fin rot may develop.
Its not all that unusual for them to bit their fins, especially if they are HM or VT.
I have one that hates the nerite snail so he nips his fins off :evil:

Stress coat can help - use 2X the recomended dose

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
From the thread it looks like it's just biting, I'll keep a close eye on it.
He did recently started adding red to his color, not sure why, I've had him for a little more than a month. He had a blow out about 2 weeks ago just 3 tiny pinholes that healed within 2 days..
Don't think that it's stress.... since he has a huge bubble nest, could be bored... he is very active.
Also I think his tail might have gotten too heavy? it was pretty long...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
That is definitely a possibility. Some fish are just finicky, it happens unfortunately. Just be sure to keep his water sparkling to keep any infection from setting in!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put him back in his tank with a 50% water change, since he doesn't seem too happy to be in a plastic tub. there was tiny parts of his tail on the bottom of the tub too, so I think he's definitely biting it.... Hopefully he stops, is there anything I could do to stop him from biting it? more decor? a hammock?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The issue with biters is that there are SO many things that can cause them to bite.
Is he seeing another fish or his reflection constantly?
Has his tank been moved or redecorated recently?
Does he have any tank mates?
How heavily decorated is his tank?
Does he seem 'compulsive' for a fish? IE glass surfing, pacing etc?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
He can see his reflection about 50% of the time, only if I have lights on in the room. there's a cave, a moss ball, a filter, under gravel heater, and a thermometer that's about, gravel and some rocks, that's about it since it's only a 2.5 Gal.
He is extremely compulsive actually... he never stays still.... since I've had him I think i've only seen him sleep once, and I thought he was dead.
He also stares at everyone who sits on the couch for a good 5 mins.
There are no other fish or snails in the tank.
did a water change on monday and just now but I change the water about once a week 50%-75% change.

Thanks for all the help! It means a lot!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Quick question about the water change schedule - is the tank cycled?

Well, I would see if you could do something to decrease the amount of 'enemy betta' he sees, many times when they see another male (or think they do) but can't get to it, they take out their frustration on their own tails. Using plain white paper to back the tank might help. Also putting more decor along the glass to block the reflection is a good tactic. It's going to be a lot of trial and error to figure out what's making him nibble... There is one user who ended up putting her (I think lol) fish in a community tank, and that solved the problem... on the other hand, some people have to put them back in solitary to get them to stop biting.
How is the flow of the filter? Strong or gentle?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh poor boy, yeah, definitely biting.

I just wanted to note on veggiegirl: Epsom Salt and Aquarium salt are not the same thing and nor do they do the same thing. Epsom is for internal issues such as internal parasites, bloating/constipation and swelling. Aquarium salt is good for sterilizing wounds on the outside, does nothing for fin rot but can aggrivate the slime coat to overproduce it, this is good for getting rid of external parasites such as Ich because it literally pushes the parasite off when the fish sheds the old slime coat.

As for as him biting, I'll wait until the OP answers haveyouhadyourteayet's post before suggesting anything else as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The filter is a tetra whisper 3i, its the smallest filter I can fine, I wouldn't say the flow is super strong but he does get pushed down by it if he's just stay in front of the water. I'm open to suggestions if there are more gentle ones.
I'll put some printer paper around the sides to see it if helps, he does flare at him self a lot to the point 2 or 3 weeks ago he got like 3 pinholes but they healed within 2 days. put some paper around it still seem pretty reflecty though... maybe it will help.
I'm going to the pet store for some stress coat and some more decor tomorrow, i'll keep updated.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Don't use printer paper, if you can, find some construction paper instead; white preferably. Printer paper is still relatively shiny which means he will still see the reflection, you want something mat that isn't shiny so it doesn't reflect.

As for the filter, that's a fine filter, I had three of them before. They aren't exactly useful but they still work to a degree and I doubt that is what making him bite.

How long has this tank been set up and how long have you had him?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll just leave the light off for now, until i can figure out the situation about the reflection.
I've had him for about 5 weeks now, its been the same for 5 weeks, he seemed pretty happy, theres a bubble nest every week. Just a really really active fish....

1 - 20 of 65 Posts