Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My veiltail male has major slits up his tail, but there's absolutely nothing in the tank for him to cut his fins on, so I'm very confused. I have only silk plants and rounded ornaments in this tank, no sharp edges at all. Yesterday I replaced the filter's water bottle baffle with a sponge baffle in the intake so he couldn't injure himself on that. What should I do for this? I don't want him to lose his wonderful tail! Also it's only his tail fin, nothing else.

Housing

What size is your tank? 5gal
What temperature is your tank? 82º
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, baffled with sponge in intake
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Lately it's been daily to deal with fin rot
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Lately it's been 100% to deal with fin rot
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, pH down, any medications he needs

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, he has slits up his tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He is currently on Maracyn for fin rot, but last night was the last dosage of that.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not other than the mild fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are the edges black? That'd indicate fin-rot.
Otherwise, make sure the silk plants don't have wires in them than could be sticking out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the edges black? That'd indicate fin-rot.
Otherwise, make sure the silk plants don't have wires in them than could be sticking out.
Hi, thanks for replying so quickly.
The edges are not black, and no wires on the plants at all as the stems are made of plastic (they don't have any edges on them though).

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
he could have just split it while flaring. i had a veiltail named Cup who would do that ALL the time. just keep his water clean, and it'll heal up on it's own. :3 no need to do anything, really.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah. Then it's probably caused by flaring.
^.^ Just keep his water clean (but not too clean. Absolutely pristine water can cause issues too) and warm and they'll heal up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he could have just split it while flaring. i had a veiltail named Cup who would do that ALL the time. just keep his water clean, and it'll heal up on it's own. :3 no need to do anything, really.
How often would you recommend doing water changes for something like this?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Finally was able to get a good photo of it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out he's biting his tail. I am not a happy betta momma right now...jk but what can I do for that? He's got 3 large plants, a stone tower that he can swim in and up, a stone bridge to swim under, a few statues, a ping pong ball, and a rubber duck. He really shouldn't be bored...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Get a compact mirror or something similar 9I have one of those mirrors they use in glasses places where you can see how the glasses look on you) and set it next to his tank for a little while every day, or every other day. Or something of the like.

He has a rubber duck? LOL. Guess what my boys are getting next! XD

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a compact mirror or something similar 9I have one of those mirrors they use in glasses places where you can see how the glasses look on you) and set it next to his tank for a little while every day, or every other day. Or something of the like.

He has a rubber duck? LOL. Guess what my boys are getting next! XD

He gets a decent amount of mirror time every day as it is.

He loves his rubber ducky! Plays with it way more than the ping pong ball :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts