Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I picked up my first betta today, yay! We had a hard time actually finding one, only one LFS (the third one we tried) actually seemed to stock them.

As such the choice was not great, and they weren't labelled up as to what type. Not that I really mind, the guy I picked is lovely and such an inquisitive little fellow. I assumed that he was a veiltail, seeing as they tend to be the most common and to be honest I've never seen another type here. He's been home for most of the day, and I noticed that when he spreads his fins a little, part of his dorsal fin looks spiky just like a crowntail.

He's pretty small so I think he is quite young. If he was a crowntail would he be spiky all over already, or do they grow into their fins so to speak?

I will post pictures when he stops hiding from me :roll:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Definantly veiltail but not a 'pure' breed. His tail is slightly spaded.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Definantly veiltail but not a 'pure' breed. His tail is slightly spaded.
Spade tail is the same as a veil tail. Only difference would be that the "veil" would be farther facing downward close to the anal fin, while the "spade" would be in a middle section of their body.

Therefore vt and st is the same tail type.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Spade tail is the same as a veil tail. Only difference would be that the "veil" would be farther facing downward close to the anal fin, while the "spade" would be in a middle section of their body.

Therefore vt and st is the same tail type.
ST means single tail. Referring to any tail type. ST - single tail DT - double tail.

Spades died out back in the 90's. Some are working on a strain though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah he's a character. So proud, only had him 3 days and he's eating fine, owning the tank, and he just did his first flare!

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
ST means single tail. Referring to any tail type. ST - single tail DT - double tail.

Spades died out back in the 90's. Some are working on a strain though.
When I said ST, I was just saying it just not to spell it out completely, but I guess I should just spell it out.

I have to disagree.

If spades died out then why are there veils with spade tails? Also I dont believe that spades even exist. They are all in the category of VT's. The name Spade is just like when people say round tail...It can be in the category of PK's or HMs...either way it is just stating that the tail is in a round shape, but is usually thought of as short finned bettas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts