Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm a new owner of a beautiful blue betta called wish. Overhead him since feb 14 2015. He's been very good. But three weeks ago, I noticed a change in his color. White tips lined his tail. A week later he had a bacterial infections large patches of white covered his scales.
I feed him top fin, betta bits. 3 in the morning and night. Making sure he eats them or I clean them out.
I had researched for nights and night finding out that I had missed much info before becoming an owner. I had no test kit or a first aid on hand.I had a filtered tank with him by himself, no heater. I hand my dad take him to pet smart and they gave me betta fix. They said my water was perfect, but then why would he be sick? Betta fix It worked wonders on the patches. (Used for 2 weeks) I've been giving him a full water change each week after 7 days. His back is healed but his front was staring to, when I noticed (just came back from weekend vacation) he had white fuzz spots under his lips and near his gills.:cry: I believe it to be fungus. How do I treat it? Will light cause it to increase in effect? Is. Heater needed?
I'd also like to add I've been noticing his tail becoming white from the center down. I feel like it's melt and fin rot. Please help. I'm going to take him back to pet smart and have them test the water. Is this fin rot? How do I cure it? Can I use two or three types of meds at a time?
I probably should get a water test kit.
What's the perfect nitrates and nitrite levels and ph.
I know ammonia can't be higher than 0. To lower it should I do a 25% water change?
The temp I know needs to be 76- 82 f but will this effect his illnesses in a bad or good way? :shock:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe the white fuzzy spots you are stating could be Columnaris. here is a info on the sites sticky to help you. Personally i would stop using the betta fix and start with the meds listed below. Also when starting any treatment i would make sure you take out any carbon from your filter if you have carbon (little black rocks/black sheet) inside.

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or ¾ water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn II, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

this thread is very helpful as well http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78573

GL and i hope this helped :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jess thank you for helping. He's still alive but idk when my mom will take me to the store. Where can I find some of the stuff. Online? Seems risky and might be too late. Pet smart? Petco? Should I clean the rocks with bleach?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,426 Posts
You'll get no reliable or accurate diagnosis without filling out the form as requested and posting a photo. Based on your description it could be any number of things so to say it's something definite is strictly guesswork and can actually further stress and/or endanger your fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry I'm new to this site and didn't know how to copy it. I'm actually using aquarium salt and a over all general cure to treat my fish.

·
Registered
908 Posts
you can just highlight it, right click, copy it, then go back to this page and paste it like you would do to copy/paste anything else on the computer :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts