Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan to start up a sorority in a 35 gal bowfront aquarium. I know the key to successful sororities is heavily planted, lots of hiding places and lots of plants near the surface, I'm just having a hard time planning out how I would do it.

Do any of you have tall tanks and pictures of how you made good use of the space?

Here's a picture of the tank and the wood I got with it. (Floating fishies are from a long time ago, not going in this tank btw)

EDIT Fixed link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmkvey2rd83hfwo/2015-04-24 14.19.31.jpeg?dl=0

*** I accidentally put this in the wrong forum before, sorry if you're seeing it twice!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
link gives an error

No photos but some plant suggestions:
some good tall plants:
Mid-large species anubias (what is your tank height?)
Hygrophila (ex: giant hygro)
Vallisneria (example jungle val)
Echinodorus (ex:amazon swords)
Nyphaea (example tiger lotus)
Aponogeton (ex: aponogeton ulvaceus)

Note most of these (except anubias) are heavy root feeders and need medium to high light but they are big and thick-good line of sight break up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
link gives an error
Mid-large species anubias (what is your tank height?)
I think its about 2 feet tall, maybe a couple inches less.

Also, I updated the link. There aren't any plants on the wood in there anymore, not sure what happened, its used to be my dad's tank.

Sweet that's good to know. I have a good light for it so they might be happy with that. The only issues is that the substrate is sand, not sure how they'd like that? I will have some gephagus in there so the sand will be turned over frequently which plants like.

I was thinking of putting a 3 or 4 big rocks in a pyramid in the left corner(opposite the aerator) and then it makes some good hiding spots plus I can put plants on it to give some thick plants at top part of the tank.

I'll look into what the different species your recommended look like, I don't know much about plants :/

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
With a sand substrate and heady root feeding plants I'd suggest getting osmocote+ root tabs (can get on ebay for cheap). 1 root tab per a 3" square area-stuff it deep in the substrate. Add new root tabs every 6-9 months. You may also want iron specific root tab or other fer method for the Echinodorus, and pottasium for the Hygrophila.

at 24" some anubias options:
Anubias hastifolia (max 19")
Anubias heterophylla (max 23")
Anubias glabra (sometimes called lanceolata max 19")
Anubias broadleaf (not so much tall but very wide leaves)
anubias wiki link (sourced for heights)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anubias
Broadleaf is probably the easiest to find, the others may take some searching or have to get online, most lfs don't label their anubias that's for sale for the exact sp. can be difficult to determine.

Anubias are rhizome based plants, like java fern. Do not bury the rhizome! its best to tie them to decor/wood/rock or anchor them (I use fishing line and glass beads), or if the roots are very long you can bury just the roots. But the rhizome must stay fully exposed in the water column. Do not tie them too tightly-think of the rhizome like your arm-don't cut off the blood flow.

photo of my broad leaf:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, good to know. I'll see which of these I can find where. Thanks! Now the question is how to arrange them :p

Anyone have a tall tank or ideas for arranging decorations to make good use of the vertical space?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts