Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Scout is in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, and I'm wondering how many times a week I should clean it. I'm trying to arrange to put him in a five gallon, which will have a filter, and how many times should that be cleaned?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
if your tank cycled at all?

If it is cycled then do two 50% water changes every week.
If it is NOT cycled then do one 50% and one 100% water change every week.

For the 5 gallon
if it is cycled then do one 50% water change every week
If it is NOT cycled then do two 50% water changes every week with one 100% water change once a month.

If you do not know what cycling is please read these threads.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still don't quite understand. Why must the tanks be cleaned so often? Is it because of the amount of ammonia that the fish produces?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Correct, that is why. Also the buildup of nitrates, nitrites, and the fact that tap water has minerals and vitamins in it that the fish needs, over time the fish uses these up and needs new water. For a 50% water change with gravel vac just get a grave vacuum and use it to siphon out 50% of the water. For 100% changes put your fish in a cup of old water and dump out the tank

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
+1 to Bikeridinguckgirl14

if we as fish keepers never changed their water then our lovely fish would die of ammonia poisoning.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. SO it's really actually simple. And I always use tapwater because of the vitamins. I let the water sit over night and then use it. I don't have any of that stuff that cleans the water

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
You NEED to be using water conditioner. Even if you let it sit out all night.

Personally I just fill a bucket up with water and add conditioner and then add it to the tank.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you must let it sit I recommend 2 things, #1 let it sit 48 hours (time needed for chlorine to evaporate) (uncovered obviously) and #2 test the water before putting it in

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't suggest using water that you let sit, back when my dad kept all his tanks, you could do that, we lived on the islands and had clean water from the taps, but now too many cities are using chloramine to treat their water. Chloramine doesn't dissipate like chlorine and even if your city's water report said that they didn't, I'd still suggest a water conditioner.

We live in different times now as fish keepers. Sadly, the days of simply outgassing your tank water is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in a pretty small town on Vancouver Island, but that probably doesn't make a difference. I"ll swing by the store this week as soon as I can for the conditioner. (Quick question: Is Conditioner the same as water treatment?)
I've also gotta look for Omega One Betta Buffet. I've been told it's the best food, but so far there isn't any at the petstore. The only pellets they have "aren't very good for bettas"

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If your local store has Northfin brand, you can get that. It's a Canadian company, so it's more likely to bet there. I know you can order it from bigalspets.ca. It's good quality. You can get the betta bits or the community formula.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.