Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up a three gallon halfmoon tank I got for $10 secondhand, but have no idea how I want to decorate it. The three tall plants work well, and Gallifrey (the CT) seems to like them just fine. However, I wouldn't mind getting a centerpiece hide for the tank. I was hoping to find a nice piece of driftwood, but so far have had no luck. I like decorating my tank to complement the fish, which is why I have light gravel and light plants to make his deep red pop.
Here's the tank; complete with Gallifrey's huge bubble nest in the back:

And here are a couple (blurry) shots of Gallifrey to showcase his color. He's camera-shy, so these are the best I could get. He's basically a Red Devil or Red Orchid. He has quite a bit of bright blue iridescence on his dorsal fin which is sort of visible in the pictures.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Nice name...;-)

Fluval sells fake foreground plants, Maybe add some of those?
There is a chiclid rock that is white and round, It looks like it's covered in sand. That may make a good centerpeice as well.
This is a picture of the rock that I mentioned. It's half covered in gravel to form a hobbit hole, but it's really good. The size shown is small.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
I am OBSESSED with terra cotta pots, so I would put a little terra cotta pot in there! I just wash in hot water, then use a tiny hammer break out the bottom of it. I sand the edges, wash again, and it's good to go. I think they make great little hides without being hard to clean or expensive!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice name...;-)

Fluval sells fake foreground plants, Maybe add some of those?
There is a chiclid rock that is white and round, It looks like it's covered in sand. That may make a good centerpeice as well.
This is a picture of the rock that I mentioned. It's half covered in gravel to form a hobbit hole, but it's really good. The size shown is small.
I saw that same chiclid rock online and was wondering if you had to sand it at all. I read reviews saying the edges were rough. But it looks like your betta really enjoys it and I've had my eye on getting one!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I saw that same chiclid rock online and was wondering if you had to sand it at all. I read reviews saying the edges were rough. But it looks like your betta really enjoys it and I've had my eye on getting one!
They seem to have a coarse, sandy texture. I'm not sure if they will pass the stocking test.

I second lilyrazen on the terracotta pots. My bettas, cichlids, catfish and even tetras really like them. Terracotta pots are smooth and once that bottom drain hole is either plugged up or knocked out it will be completely safe for your betta.

DSCN9799.jpg

DSCN8863.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that idea! To be honest, I was a bit nervous with the chiclid rocks as they seemed a bit rough. I have used terra cotta pots previously, but have never knocked the bottom out before- just buried it partially in the gravel. I might just try that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts