Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am looking for advice on how I can improve my current tank. After getting my first betta in November, I fell in love with his personality, curiosity, and excitement every time he would see me come home. After doing some research, I realized how cruel it was to keep him in a 1 gallon tank, so I saved some money and bought him a 5 gallon tank which includes a heater and filter. He always knows how to cheer me up, and ever since moving to college, has helped me get rid of some home sickness I've been having. I want to continually work on improving his tank, so I was wondering if there were any ways I could make it even better? Thanks so much! Cookie and I highly appreciate any advice :)

Attachments

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,607 Posts
+1 NickAu...lots and lots of plants.

If using plastic or silk always test for snagging. If you run hose over the decor and it snags then it will also snag Cookie's fins.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys! i'm definitely going to look into that. Now, can you grow plants with gravel in your tank or do you need something different?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I love your setup. I think its gorgeous and perfect and your Betta is already pampered and lucky. If your friend is healthy then I would not change a single thing or add anything at this point. Let it all be stable and stress free. Enjoy because you deserve it, both of you.
I disagree. IMO plastic plants are not suitable and do nothing for water quality. Bettas love plants the more the merrier including floating plants.

Something like this would make your Betta very happy.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/m8mbjlfe2Ks/maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I knew I'd probably get beat with a thousand shoes for just saying I like her tank the way it is lol but that's how I see it. Its a free world, you're free to disagree. I have had only plastic plants for over three years and my fish are all healthy and happy. My view is this is a matter of preference more than a matter of right vs wrong. Not everyone can keep even a houseplant alive nevermind aquarium plants. There are pros and cons, but at the end of the day spartycookie's view is the only one that matters.

Peace all.

Edit: Okay I do see one purple plant on the left front that might be pointy and I'd advise checking that out. Otherwise its a very cute setup imo.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It looks like a cheerful little tank! :)

Live plants are wonderful, they help improve the water quality and they are very gentle on betta's fins. But if things are going great the way it is, there is nothing wrong with keeping it like that (provided the decorations pass the pantyhose test :) ). You can easily experiment with live plants at a later time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the advice and compliments! I appreciate it and will be taking it into account next time I visit the pet store :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts