Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Hawkeye 5 gallon tank kit and was wondering if I could get some opinions about it for a Betta. I'm thinking about getting a Betta for my classroom. It is plastic which I was wondering if glass wouldn't be better. Also, it comes with a pump. Would I need to use a pump for 5 gallon tank or could I still just do water changes? If I need to use a pump is the pump that comes with it too strong? Thanks for any help..

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm relatively new to betta keeping, but I believe most would recommend cycling a 5 gallon tank. If not, other more experienced keepers can give you water change advice.

As for the Hawkeye 5 gallon, I have that tank in my bedroom and it is nice, but I'm getting frustrated with the fact that, at least my tank, seems to hold a lot of condensation in the hood. That condensation then drips down the sides/back of the tank when I open the hood for maintenance. Also, the condensation is up in the light fixture and makes me a bit nervous about possible problems.

My frustration with the water running down the side of the tank is mainly because this tank is sitting on a dresser and I'm thinking it is gonna damage the wood. I've put something under it, but it's frustrating none the less.

If this were sitting on a different surface I wouldn't be quite as annoyed by it.

If you do a search on this forum for Hawkeye you should find input from others with it.

I had to get another 5 gallon yesterday and I ended up going with a standard 5 gallon glass. Its a kit from Petsmart http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11459461&lmdn=Brand and I plan on swapping out the incandescent bulb with a florescent one so I can have live plants, but that wouldn't be necessary if you had silk/plastic plants.

Just my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts