Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded to a 45gal bow. It came with one strip of LED lights which IMO doesn't seem to be enough. When the fish swim around the top/front they look like they have a shadow over them which is annoying.

So what should I do? Should I switch out the lights completely for something new or add another panel in?

I'm wanting to keep plants alive too, I have some amazon swords, wisteria, java fern and a couple others I'm not sure what they are. I'm using flurish tabs for the gravel and fluval plant micro nurtients.

It was recommended to go with marine reef lights as they're very bright and make the tank look really nice. I'm told they work fine for fresh water plants/fish. They're pretty expensive though.

I'm looking to stick with either fluval or hagen brand as I work in a pet store and it's easier for me to go with something like that.

Oh I also would love the blue night lights. Mine currently only have on/off mode.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Do not get reef lights, unless you want to learn how to fight algae, if you do not plan on having a high tech tank with pressurized co2 you want to stay towards the low-med light range like borderline med light. I have a 46bow and lighting that tank is not easy to get ground cover and not have too much light to stay low tech, you have to plan out plants and so on, if you get too much light and have it on for too long, you will learn like I did on several occasions that fighting BBA aka black beard algae is not funbut if you go high tech with co2 you can have a super amazing tank but yeah all those headaches that go with it and the cost

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what about just another LED strip? I at least don't want shadows on my fish, it's hard to see their color.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well what about just another LED strip? I at least don't want shadows on my fish, it's hard to see their color.
I use a Current USA on my 10 gallon (they make different sizes) and it works great for the low-medium lights and has the blue also. I got mine at a lfs having an annual sale so I got a good deal on it. There are lots of options out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts